Forums Latest Members

SOLD 1961 Universal Geneve Compax Cal. 281 36mm Stainless Case "Rolled" Lugs Serviced!

1. blowry2 May 5, 2014

Up for sale here is a watch I need to get rid of before I get too much of a chance to become attached to it. It's a 1961-62 Universal Geneve Compax Chronograph with what I believe is the most beautiful case they ever came in. It has the rolled lugs which give the watch a great, three dimensional feel. This has a just serviced Universal Cal. 281 movement which is running beautifully with all functions performing flawlessly. I bought this watch in somewhat less beautiful condition and had it lovingly and sympathetically restored by Blake Scott of Scotch Watch who is the true authority of vintage UG. This watch got a complete disassembly and cleaning followed by a careful restoration with originality in mind. The movement received a couple of screws and the watch got a brand new period correct crown directly from UG. The tiny amount of lume in the hands was redone as the original lume was black and falling out. The original, silver dial with an awesome vertical grain was carefully cleaned and is totally original and beautiful. The watch also got all new gaskets, a new high dome crystal, and was timed and adjusted. It appears that the case has only ever been very lightly polished if at all. The case-back is engraved with the name of the only owner other than myself and if that were to bother anyone a new case-back can be bought through Blake. All details from service will be included for the buyer. This is an extremely rare UG and it is a ready to wear time capsule. I've put the watch on a brand new, beautiful, USA made alligator strap with a vintage-looking buckle. There's one photo of the watch on a more vintage looking strap which is NOT included. You will probably never see this reference for sale again and for it to be so recently serviced is a great deal. Please contact with interest by PM or email me at benjaminalowry((AT))gmailDOTcom. I'm looking for $2250US including PayPal and shipping! No trades unless you have a truly awesome vintage diver and I'd only trade down as I need some cash! Don't miss out! I apologize for my crappy iphone pictures and I can assure you the watch looks much better in person. I'm new to this forum but I've bought and sold lots on WUS under the same name. Check me out!

IMG_1282.jpg IMG_1283.JPG IMG_1284.JPG IMG_1285.JPG IMG_1316.jpg

2. blowry2 May 5, 2014

Oh and here's a picture of the movement!

IMG_1227.JPG

3. blowry2 May 5, 2014

So I figured out how to take better macro shots...

IMG_1332.jpg IMG_1333.jpg
    Diabolik and adam78 like this.
  4. blowry2 May 6, 2014

Bump for this beautiful chronograph! I'm also accepting trade offers and regular offers!

5. blowry2 May 9, 2014

$2100 All In.

6. blowry2 May 10, 2014

Sold and thanks to Eric!

7. Diabolik Jun 5, 2014

wish i had spotted this one. it is one rare bit of UG history !

ELV web likes this.
  8. ELV web Jun 6, 2014

Guess I am really lucky :)

eric