Forums Latest Members
  1. v.koh Oct 11, 2017

Hi,
    I'm also in the market for a vintage seamaster and came across one going for around $450. Owner claims it's all original (except strap and buckle). Appreciate your comments (pictures below)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

mikechi22 likes this.
  2. TropicConnie Oct 12, 2017

Case looks good. The crystal isn't original either but that's an easy fix and not too expensive. Some people don't bother replacing non-Omega crystals with the OEM part but the fact of the matter is Omega crystals sit better in place and the correct distance from the dial. The movement is quite dirty and will need a good service to get it shiny and new again. Factor those costs in before you make a decision.

3. v.koh Oct 12, 2017

Thanks Tropic Connie. What makes you say that the crystal isn't original? Seller claims it's original with omega symbol etched to the underside.

4. TropicConnie Oct 12, 2017

Maybe it's my monitor, maybe it's poor eyesight, but I see no Omega symbol on that crystal.

5. v.koh Oct 12, 2017

I see. I'll make sure to ask him to show me the etching. How about the dial and hands? do they look original?

6. TropicConnie Oct 12, 2017

I don't believe the hands are original either. They should be dauphine style, not spear heads.

7. François Pépin Oct 12, 2017

The hands look legit to me.
    Dauphine hands may be found more often with this dial and caliber configuration, but I have also seen watches with this kind of hands.

8. panaitchrono Oct 12, 2017

Also look legit for me..about the price I think you can find lower but it's not an overwhelming price.

9. v.koh Oct 12, 2017

Thanks for your inputs.

How about the dial? I haven't seen one with this 12 marker. Also the font (especially the S on the Seamaster) is a bit funky. Although I saw some online with this font, I'm not sure whether it's a period specific thing or a redial.

10. Temprus Oct 12, 2017

Looks good to me except the crystal.

11. ConElPueblo Oct 12, 2017

I don't see anything off. The crystal is most likely the modern replacement type, which has a rather prominent dome on it. It does look a bit weird on dressier watches, but it isn't apparent unless you look for it.