Forums Latest Members

1960's Seamasters, some dials have raised "OMEGA" some are just printed on. WHY??

1. SteveHH Jul 15, 2016

Hi all, I'm not an expert on watches but I have a nice little collection. A friend gave me a really minty (from what I can tell, see my avatar) 601 131.019 with original strap, buckle and box. I'm not asking about that, it was a gift and it's beautiful.

My (probably really) stupid question is this. I'm always looking for a nice Seamaster or two but I have not been able to find out WHY some (from the exact same era) have the OMEGA raised up and some are printed on. Is it a USA vs. other countries thing? Can someone please explain this to me? I grabbed these shots from our buddies at QVT, hope they don't mind. What makes one raised and the other printed on? Call me confused, thanks!

And yes, I joined here just to ask this question, it's been bugging me for days. omega 67.jpg omega 63.jpg

2. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jul 16, 2016

Just a guess; some might have cost 50, some 100 and some 300 dollars...

So different price segments

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. SteveHH Jul 16, 2016

Well, squinting at the vintage Omega catalogs on line, the price is very close, even from country to country. Someone told me that the "printed" Omega is always a redial but I've seen well-worn versions without raised lettering so that can't be true.

Someone must know on the Omega Forum! Either it's the very first time this question has been asked (doubtful) or it's been asked so many times that the experts who hang around here aren't bothering to answer again. I did a search here, came up with nothing.

By the way those two QVT photos in my first post (the 1967 and 1963 Seamasters for sale), they look too good to be true. Are they redials? QVT says no, original dials.. I'd grab one if I knew for sure...

Thanks, everyone.

4. Vitezi Jul 16, 2016

I often wish I had a time machine to take me back to meet the dial designers who were tasked with developing a particular style for a given reference.
    I think the choice between a printed logo versus an applied logo in your examples had more to do with dial aesthetics than anything else. In your first example, the markers have a black stripe on a gold background, so perhaps the logo was printed in black on the gold dial to match. In the second example, the applied dial markers are silver, so the dial designer felt an applied logo in silver would look the best.

5. SteveHH Jul 16, 2016

I like your idea, but sadly, it wouldn't explain this one: No black highlights, just gold dial markers, yet no raised logo, just black print. If the design aesthetic was to be followed correctly, the logo would be gold as well. So, I'm still confused... omega 64.jpg

6. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Jul 16, 2016

A good question and one that is not easy to answer. Firstly with mainstream lines, Omega introduced the applied logo in about 1953.

With De Villes, some Geneves and generics (models carrying only the brand name) Omega had several grades of dial including what they used to call "Luxury". As has already been hinted, the cheaper lines had cheaper to manufacture dials, but remember that's comparative to the particular line as opposed to the whole collection. Hence, a luxury dial with onyx inserts may not have the applied Omega logo in any of the three lines mentioned above, but on other occasions it will. It depends on grading. For example, a luxury dial may often have a coated base metal blank whereas the lesser grade would have paint on base metal.

This was different to other higher profile lines like the mainstream Seamaster and Constellation etc. which had symbol and logo and overall better quality dial. So the only logic can be applied to the De Ville (A product designed for the blue collar sector by Norman Morris) and lesser ranges is one of grading, and some of that grading is not visible to the eye.

Cheers

Desmond

WhatYourWatchSay, GregH and chronos like this.
  7. SteveHH Jul 16, 2016

Desmond, many thanks for your thoughts. I've heard of Norman Morris and the American market strategies but I see these exact same DE VILLE watches in German, British catalogs of the era. After being told they were just made for us silly Americans, that confuses me..

I'd really like to buy one of the above three (pictured) to wear but they look too good to be true. All around a grand or so, US $ from QVT, Canada. Are they truly this clean and original?

Advice, please! Thanks.

8. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Jul 16, 2016

Norman Morris had cases designed locally and was the first to market them in 1962. He was quite into case design, and when he died he left a scholorship for case design in the jewellery Department at the Fashion Institute of Technology in NY. Omega liked the idea of an entry level watch and the minimalist case with the French-Sounding name, and began producing the cases in Switzerland too for a wider international market.

The watches look tidy to me and original, but you would have to look under the bonnet to make sure everything was kosher.

Cheers

Desmond

GregH, cmdumond and SteveHH like this.
  9. j.allen Jun 6, 2017

I like the applied symbol but very much dislike the raised logo. You can see where the letters are joined together as it's all on piece not separate. I love the painted logos.

These all look fine to me, but someone who knows these DeVilles can better answer. Sometimes the watch crystal distorts images.

Foo2rama and SteveHH like this.
  10. Edward53 Jun 7, 2017

This Seamaster has onyx-inlaid hands and markers so I presume it is classed as a luxury dial. Applied symbol, painted logo. Just a subjective impression but compared to my only De Ville (with applied logo), the overall quality feels that bit superior.

IMG_4173.JPG