Forums Latest Members
  1. Ninebirds Oct 16, 2018

Hi there,

I'd be interested to hear some thoughts on this watch.

Having had a browse around here, I am not even thinking about opening the case myself, so until I can get someone to do that for me, my best guess is that it dates from the early '60s. I can barely make out the mark on the lugs, but I think it is a head (Helvetia?) and a 9 beneath it. That said, my tame jeweller reckoned it was 18k from the colour, although he was sticking his neck out as that was just from the photos. A barely visible 76601K (I think) is scratched on the side one of the lugs.

It runs fine, and keeps good time. Probably last serviced in the 1990's. I vaguely recall seeing a gold buckle with the Omega symbol on it years ago, but sadly it's disappeared.

It has some unfortunate wear on the case where my grandfather or father wore it with a nylon strap - is it worth having that polished out, or leaving it? In fact, what do you think about restoring it? Yes, I know it needs a clean! I should explain that my motive for finding out more about this is simple - I want a watch I will actually wear. This sits in a drawer, which is a shame. I can't just sell it; it has to be replaced by another watch. I had my heart set on a Speedmaster Reduced, but reading a few threads on here, I think I'll take the controversial step of opting for the Professional ;-). Preferably one that shows the date.

So, any help would be much appreciated. I realise I am probably being wildly optimistic about the value of the Seamaster matching a Speedmaster, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Seamaster face.jpg Seamaster back.jpg Seamaster crown.jpg Seamaster side.jpg
    Blaise and Rochete like this.
  2. Rochete Oct 16, 2018

Nice one. It doesn't need any restoring or polishing, IMO.

3. Ninebirds Oct 16, 2018

Thank you.

I guess I should add, having spent more time browsing here, that I hope my post above doesn't come over as if I have joined simply to ask for a free valuation! I have been Googling this watch for years, and never seen one quite like it. Presumably it is a De Ville, but obviously does not say so on the dial.

Is it possible to date these from the appearance alone? As I said, any advice or opinions most welcome!

Cheers,

Pat

4. Blaise Oct 16, 2018

This watch needs to meet a great watchmaker who can fix it up for your nicely. Have it opened up by a pro and we can help more, but make sure it's not properly by someone who knows the drill.

5. rexquando65 Oct 16, 2018

That's a beautiful watch. Sounds like it's solid 18Kt. There's a redial on ebay now they are asking $1529 for that looks similar. Yours is all original. I have my grand father's watch which I got when I was 20 and broke. I would never part with it. I would get it serviced and source a nice band and you have a very nice watch to wear even if it's just for special events that will last your life time. A classy watch like that never goes out of style. I do love my speedmaster moon watch from late 1970's. You can probably get one of those for $2500 if you shop around.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Auto...h=item56b31a9c7e:g:Mt8AAOSwH9tbTjQr:rk:8:pf:0Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

6. Ninebirds Oct 16, 2018

Interesting, thank you.
    I fear this may become a moral quandary... even worse, I am now wondering if I could somehow have my cake and eat it.