Forums Latest Members
  1. l.iampattison Apr 30, 2017

Good Evening All,

Attached below is photos of a Seamaster I am looking at purchasing. I was wondering if I could get some clarification on a few things (I've done a lot of research but I'm just flat out new to vintage watches and it's a big purchase for me so I want to make sure I get it right).

I have supplied the key images that the ad provided and I know it doesn't show the crown specifically or inside the case - I'm still waiting on those photos from the seller.

The seller is quite reputable with a long history of sales and is saying that the dial is genuine and non-refurbished, the crown and the glass is also genuine Omega (you can see the small Omega logo in the middle of the glass). The movement is said to also be keeping perfect time (I'm a little sceptical bc they don't provide any photos of it - I am awaiting reply from the seller in regards to getting pictures of it) and a 6 month warranty is provided.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the exact year? the ad just says 1960s.

I am also curious as to the authenticity (it looks perfectly authentic though I'm still new to this so I may have missed a tell)

and also, what would you guys value it at (provided that the movement is genuine and there's nothing out of the ordinary)

thank you all so much for your time!
    Regards,
    Liam

omega-seamaster-automatic-automatik-34mm-vintage-562-4-1024x725.jpg omega-seamaster-automatic-automatik-34mm-vintage-562-6-1024x565.jpg omega-seamaster-automatic-automatik-34mm-vintage-562-8.JPG
  2. Gordon Heavyfoot Apr 30, 2017

Looks like a nice example of an early 60's Seamaster. If you trust the seller that a full service (i.e., full disassembly, clean, oil and regulation) has been done this increases what I would pay. With the knowledge that the crown is incorrect and assuming that the movement is in good shape I wouldn't have a problem paying up to about $600. If it was solid gold, a little more. Hope this helps.

3. lillatroll Apr 30, 2017

Difficult to tell properly but the dial looks to have uneven colouration. The colours in the photos look to have been adjusted in each picture to show the watch off at its best. The bottom half of the dial looks a bit yellow in picture 1 but in real life it might be a lot worse than it looks.
    Some people refer to this as patina. Even patina can look nice, patchy patina looks scruffy,especially on a dress watch. Generally speaking if I think a seller is trying to hide something then I wonder what else is he trying to hide. Why are there no pictures of the movement and case back?
    As to the service claim, unless he can provide evidence that it has been serviced and what has been done to it then it does not mean anything and you should get it sent to a watchmaker.
    Based on what you have so far I would pass.