Forums Latest Members
  1. edstevens Apr 19, 2018

Hello everybody.

Wondered if I could get some opinions from you experts about the Omega Seamaster classic watch I HAVE already bought...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STUNNING...r-automatic-mens-watch-Cal-562-/282921427484?Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Would be good to know if I got a good price, a bad price or the right price for it. Looking at the sellers description he doesn't mention that the dial is original, so I assume it isn't. From reading these forums I know that a re-dial is a no-no for most collectors but it doesn't bother me (I'm not a collector, I just really like the style of the watch and if this is why I paid less for the watch then that suits me)
    Having said that I have found the same watch online (http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-obo-omega-seamaster-166-010-a-3355370.html) and comparing the dial they seem to have done a good job... The spacing on the 'Swiss made' is the only slight difference I can see....

Anyway, would love to hear your views. Thanks!

2. edstevens Apr 19, 2018

3. BenBagbag Apr 19, 2018

If you like it and originality doesn't bother you too much then you did fine. There is a market for any vintage style watch and the black dials usually go for more no matter how original.

As you pointed out, the collector bunch of us go bonkers for original, unpolished condition so I'm not sure our solicited opinions will be too helpful...

Enjoy the watch and wear it in good health. Certainly don't let us poison what really should be an enjoyable watch for you.

edstevens likes this.
  4. dan7800 Apr 19, 2018

I am not sure it helps much to give thoughts on a watch you already bought, but a few red flags for me:

1) Do they provide evidence of service and how do you know it was properly done? (This has been covered many many times here). Unless they offer proof, I would consider it largely unserviced. I am sure that they will provide their personal guarantee that it was serviced by their "expert watchmaker", but this doesn't really mean much
    2) Being polished would turn me off, but that's just me.

Enjoy the watch!

edstevens likes this.
  5. ConElPueblo Apr 19, 2018

The case condition isn't the best as it has probably been polished once or twice too many, but the dial is good :)
    It is somewhat degraded, but IMO not badly - just be careful with it. Get the hands relumed in the same nice colour as the lume on the dial and you are set to go.

FWIW, I don't find the price too obscene. For a newbie dipping his toes in eBay waters, I'd say you did good :thumbsup:

mikechi22, BenBagbag and edstevens like this.
  6. cristos71 Apr 19, 2018

I think I'd like to see the movement before committing to a thumbs up, but I think at that price you did pretty well. If it was me I'd be looking to arrange a new seconds hand, a refill of the hour/minute hands with some matched filler and also keeping my eyes peeled for a future case upgrade.

edstevens likes this.
  7. edstevens Apr 19, 2018

Thanks! I agree about the service. With no proof, I will take that with a pinch of salt. Thanks for the advice.

8. edstevens Apr 19, 2018

Thanks for the advice and good to know I definetly haven't bought magic beans :)

9. Edward53 Apr 19, 2018

You must be the statistic for that one beginner in a million who buys a black dial and it's actually a real one.

As they say in Brummagem, "Yow jammy get!"

NOTSHARP, dan7800 and edstevens like this.
  10. edstevens Apr 19, 2018

Also your fishing guide was really really helpful. So thanks :)

dan7800 likes this.
  11. Delroyb Apr 21, 2018

To satisfy my own curiosity, would the dial have had small lume dots originally, as it is marked T? Or are the black bits in the hands infact empty and where the lume used to be?

12. ConElPueblo Apr 21, 2018

There are lume on the dial... Look closely.

Funnily enough, this is the third time in the last month that a dial with lumed markers like this has made people believe that the lume was missing.

13. Delroyb Apr 21, 2018

Ah, I see it now. Everyday a school day.

14. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 21, 2018

You aren't from round my way are you Ed? Bostin!

15. Edward53 Apr 21, 2018

About 12 miles from Brum, we left when I was a kid. But that saying's less childhood memories and more Harry Enfield!

16. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 21, 2018

Yes, no one round here (live in S Brum work in the middle) actually talks like that, its more a black country thing if it is indeed a thing it is. We sound more like Richard Hammond round these parts. 'Considerably richer than Yow' was another Enfieldism which raises a chuckle.