Forums Latest Members
  1. jksinga Mar 30, 2016

Hey this is my first time posting in a watch forum, or any forum for that matter. I have this Omega Seamaster Deville that was my grandfathers; he purchased it sometime in the 1960s. I just had some questions about it, but I'm not too sure how many of them are able to be answered. Worth a shot.
    -why is the back blank, without the normal Omega designs? and is it still waterproof even though it doesn't say it is?
    -Is there any gold on here or is it all steel?
    -Apart from cleaning and new crystal, is there anything I should have done to it? It keeps time fairly well, loses about a minute a day.
    PS: I'm thinking about replacing the band with something more like an alligator leather. Any suggestions?

Thanks IMG_0494.JPG IMG_0495.JPG IMG_0497.JPG

2. cimo Mar 30, 2016

This looks like a gold cap model. The bezel is probably 14k gold and the back is stainless steel. The plain back case is seen on US collection models and was a feature on examples intended for personalization/engraving.

It is a waterproof design, but as with all vintage watches you are discouraged from exposing it to any moisture despite whatever waterproof rating it once had.

It will need a new crown along with the service as this is a wear part commonly replaced periodically.

I personally like that band, but leather of any color and finish would look nice. I like light brown and black on these.

Giff2577 likes this.
  3. CdnWatchDoc Mar 30, 2016

[​IMG]

For comparison...this one does have the Seamaster Hippocampus on the back

JimInOz and ahartfie like this.
  4. cimo Mar 30, 2016

But that's a picture of the front! :p

5. Ravineman Mar 30, 2016

Nice watch. Looks like your grandfather wore the watch and its showing its age, which is not a bad thng at all.
    A new band will not change much.
    It should become more accurate if its serviced/cleaned/adjusted, but if you are not wearing it every day it really doesn't matter that much if it loses 60 seconds a day in most applications.
    If you decide on a service/cleaning /adjustment, you could consider having the face replaced/redone, but then it won't be original anymore.

6. jksinga Mar 31, 2016

Thanks everyone, I'm pretty content on keeping it original. I'll look into getting it cleaned/serviced and the crown replaced. As for the band, it's missing one of the loops that keeps the excess part down. If I do get anything done I'll post here. Thanks again.

7. dwndler Mar 31, 2016

I would also keep dial as it is. It is not a big deal and it shows that it was used. As far as I can see the crown is fine. It should be replaced if you want the watch to be more water repellent but as someone wrote before avoid water and moist when wearing vintage watch. Regarding the strap I would go for a brown or light brown as it fits more with a gold color of the watch. You could try ostrich strap as well. One minute pr . day may be regulated but I would go for a service also to avoid further damage (wear of the movement) as service history is unknown.

8. jksinga Mar 31, 2016

Also, does anyone know how many jewels this watch has in the movement?

9. dwndler Mar 31, 2016

If your watch is hiding a cal. 560 than it has 17 jewels and if it is a cal. 562 than it would be 24 jewels.
    WHY?

10. CdnWatchDoc Apr 1, 2016

Sorry, way too overtired that day. Here is a pic, not a great one, but it clearly shows the Hippocampus
    [​IMG]