Forums Latest Members
  1. n8inchatt Feb 19, 2017

Hey guys, wanted to get your input on a watch that was my grandfather's. The story on how he acquired it was always vague and I can't get info from him since he passed away more than 30 years ago. My understanding is that it is a 1960's 14K gold Seamaster DeVille and it's automatic. I also know that it has a monocoque case so I'm not able to see inside it unfortunately. The only thing I've ever done is attempt to get the crystal polished as well as add a cheap leather band. I'm interested in the history of it since I've tried to learn more over the years and most of the time without any luck. I've gone to fine jewelers in town and searched the internet. The jewelers said they had no info and that was it. Today, I went to the Omega website and found a couple that looked close so I searched again online and found one for sale that looks to be identical! No real info for it though.

Here is the link to the website selling what appears to be the same watch:
    https://www.tradesy.com/accessories...ga&utm_term=&gclid=CJuypf_xnNICFYwdgQodadoNkg

I've done my best to get some quality close up pics but it is surprisingly difficult. I'm hoping someone here will be able to finally shed some light on this watch. _DSC0133.JPG _DSC0137.JPG

GregH likes this.
  2. Maybe Feb 19, 2017

Looks great! Your grandfather had good taste. Now you need a chronograph, a diver and a pilot watch!

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 19, 2017

Lovely watch, very well preserved.

Unfortunately the only way to get exact information will be to take your watch to a watchmaker (not someone who replaces batteries at a random kiosk in the mall) and have the watch opened so you can get the serial number from the movement and the reference number from inside the case back, get photos of both as well.

Also if you plan to wear the watch you will need to get it serviced, wearing a watch which hasn't been serviced in decades can damage it.

n8inchatt likes this.
  4. n8inchatt Feb 19, 2017

I'm not planning on wearing it but do think it would be a good idea to get it serviced and cleaned. Thank you!

5. TNTwatch Feb 19, 2017

Congrats on the nice heir loom!

There are some variances based on outside appearance, but it is most likely reference 165.020 with calibre 552 movement, that was made in the mid 60s.

This is a delicate watch and not easy to open by someone inexperienced on this particular watch. It's not really important to open it risking damages just for some info. It's better to have it serviced by some experienced watchmaker and get the pertinent info at the same time.

http://naligazone.com/index.php/data-watch/omega/caliber-5/481

n8inchatt likes this.
  6. n8inchatt Feb 19, 2017

Thank you! Awesome info