Forums Latest Members
  1. Duggan Jan 18, 2014

Hi,

I was hoping someone could provide me with some information on an Omega Geneve I have recently inherited from my Grandad.

Please see pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was wondering if anyone on the board has any knowledge of this particular model. Any information on the watch would be much appreciated.

My intention is to wear it on a regular basis. There are surface scratches on the glass I would like to remove first. Could these be removed using a product called polywatch?

I'd also like to put on a leather strap on the watch but the bracelet appears to be well fixed in place. Can anyone confirm if it is possible to remove the bracelet? Any recommendations on leather straps?

In addition would it be worth getting a service done? It is in relatively good condition as it probably hasn't been worn for decades.

Kind regards
    Dougie

2. ulackfocus Jan 18, 2014

Hi Dougie. Looks like a 166.041 in nice shape. Great heirloom!

Yes, but see the last answer

It's removable for sure. Many of us buy from Kelaran, a Florida strap maker who goes by eBay ID of soulsis78856h.

DEFINITELY get a service done before you damage the internals. The oils have dried up and need to be cleaned out and replaced. Get the watchmaker to polish the crystal and clean up the watch a bit, but don't polish the case!

3. Duggan Jan 18, 2014

Thanks for the response. Would I be able to get the year of the watch once it has been opened up?

I'll check out that guy for straps. I think black would work well with a gold face.

I'm based in Scotland and going through the an Omega store tomorrow so will ask thwm where I can go for a service. Any idea of the costs involved? I read somewhere that it could be £400> which I imagine might be more than the value of the watch. Having said that, I would still be tempted to get the work done due to sentimental value.

I've wanted an Omega for a while so really pleased with this one.

4. ulackfocus Jan 18, 2014

You're welcome. It's what we do here.

Sure - the serial number on the movement will correspond to what year it was made. There are several sites giving this info - here's the simplest:

http://www.thewatchguy.com/pages/OMEGASERIAL.html

We have a few watchmakers on board here. Wait for recommendations. Don't send it to Omega.

As you should be! :thumbsup:

5. Hijak Jan 18, 2014

Wow, nice and this will look great on a leather/crock/lizard strap!:thumbsup: What a great heirloom.:cool:

6. Nova1978 Jan 18, 2014

I just polish my hesalite crystal on my omega I purchased from Tony C...Polywatch do a great job! $7 for the tube..

7. Hijak Jan 18, 2014

Tape off the case and be sure not to get any on the metal parts.:cautious:

8. Nova1978 Jan 18, 2014

Ya i did :)

9. Hijak Jan 18, 2014

I put that in there for the OP.

10. Duggan Jan 18, 2014

Thanks for the comments.

Does anyone know the rough age of the watch? Also, are these quite common? I couldn't track down an exact match online.

Also, how would I go about determining the appropriate strap size to buy for this watch?

If I go ahead and polish this myself I'll be sure to tape off the metal.

Cheers!

11. ulackfocus Jan 18, 2014

Mid to late 60's into the 70's.

Yes, and they had some variations.

18 mm lug width.

12. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 19, 2014

For servicing try member stefan who is in London. Or we have a few Scottish members who may have recommendations closer to home for you.

13. Habitant Jan 19, 2014

In the UK, I would recommend Watch Obsession (http://www.watchobsession.co.uk/) for straps. Nothing outrageous, primarily Hirsch straps, but good solid stuff, great service. (Kelaran has nothing listed at the moment, in any event). Weston are also similarly good, primarily Hadley Roma (http://www.westonwatchstraps.co.uk/).
    Agree don't service with Omega. Christian, the Watch Guy (http://watchguy.co.uk/) is very good. Check out his blog, too. Price list onsite. I have used someone in Scotland, but frankly, it's worth sending it down to Christian by Special Delivery.

Jon R and SpikiSpikester like this.
  14. Duggan Jan 19, 2014

Do you think this strap would be decent or should I be spending more?

http://www.watchobsession.co.uk/col...-alligator-embossed-leather-watch-strap-black

If anyone knows of a well regarded watch maker in Edinburgh who can do a service please let me know. I was in an Omega store today and they said a service would be £560 minimum and would take 12 weeks,

The watchguys blog looks great. I'd be nervous about posting the watch though...

15. Habitant Jan 19, 2014

I used http://www.jonvincent.co.uk/ in Hamilton. No real complaints, but Christian is really worth it.

I send watches through Special Delivery all the time with no problems. Have done so many times with Christian and others in the UK. The standard insurance cover is £500, which I believe is adequate, although you can increase it. Accidents can happen in any process, but I'm just sharing my experience. Either Stefan (don't know him myself, but rec'd by Spiki), or Christian would be a better choice for the love and care you want for your watch.

The Hirsch Duke is a good everyday strap, not fancy, but they are well-made. A genuine Omega alligator is around £160, Omega calf is around £80. In your position, I'd probably go with the Duke, but buy a genuine Omega buckle (not off eBay, more than half of which appear to be counterfeit!) and which would add £15.95 to the ticket, but dress it up rather nicely. BTW, the Omega strap price does not include a buckle.

16. Duggan Feb 28, 2014

Thanks to those who got in touch recommending the Watchguy to do the service. The work is now complete and he has used my watch to update his excellent blog:

http://watchguy.co.uk/service-omega-geneve-165-041-calibre-552/#more-7487

The case ref is 165.041 and the serial number of 33513610 would appear to indicate that it was made in 1971.

I've ordered a brown leather strap from Hirsch to finish it off.

Think I have now caught the bug and already want another vintage watch. Can anyone recommend trustworthy places to buy? I'm also after a more casual, 70's inspired design - any recommendations?

17. Hijak Feb 28, 2014

Wow! Finished product looks fantastic.:thumbsup:

18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 28, 2014

Suggestion, it's casual, it's 70s

Dynamic.jpg