Forums Latest Members
  1. Tophership Jul 15, 2018

Hey Guys,

I found a super nice condition Connie at a local shop that I have a lot of trust in and has a great reputation for $1,200. They prefer photos to not be taken since they have found posts of their stuff online before the watch is sold and someone resells the watch for more, so I tried not to cause a fuss.

I will try to describe some of the details:
    - All steel
    - Omega Beads of rice bracelet (center beads look brushed)
    - Crosshair dial
    - Date window
    - 12,6, 9, applied hour markers
    - Case back Medallion
    - Possibly light polishing

The movement started right up when I shook it and the store owner said he bought it as "serviced" from another maker that he trusts. What should I take a closer look at to make sure this is a good deal?

MOD EDIT, picture removed as was for a different watch and not relevant

Edited by a mod Jul 15, 2018
  2. Tophership Jul 15, 2018

For context that I forgot to mention, the picture is not the actual watch but the closest thing I could find.

3. TexOmega Jul 15, 2018

I don’t have pictures, but is my Ford Falcon completely ok and original ?

Here are the particulars:
    Blue
    4 tires
    Starts so it has an engine
    Good windshield

See where I’m going with this?

Tophership and Noddyman like this.
  4. bgrisso Jul 15, 2018

I don't know what the forum can do for you without pics. It all comes down to details on the dial, case condition, crown, etc. if you know the ref number you can maybe do your own research against 100% original examples online. Also look at movement and caseback for rotor rubbing.

Tophership likes this.
  5. Tophership Jul 15, 2018

I was asking more along the lines of what are some things I should look at or value specifically with respect to those features. Point made though, I wasn't looking for authentication or anything. I've had a hard time finding anything to compare to for a price point so I was hoping to get some ideas of where to start.

6. bgrisso Jul 15, 2018

These are relatively common refs, should be decent number of examples online. You should have no problem finding price comparisons. What ref# are you searching for? If you don't know it, start there...

Tophership likes this.
  7. Shabbaz Jul 15, 2018

What should I take a closer look at to make sure this is a good deal?

You should know what to look at. And this is a lot with connies. It's a minefield. Dialish you can start with the MOY test. After that there are a lot of aspects to look at. The text itself the font, the swiss made, the shape of the letters, the allignment of the star, minutemarkers and this goes on and on. And then we only talk about the dial. Then we have the case, what kind of case belongs to the modelnumber, is the medaillon ok, etc, etc. And we have the caliber... It's just to much. Take a look at Desmond's website.

And last, I know a lot of 'respected' sellers who are selling crap. Without knowing what to look at you are walking blind...

Good luck!

Noddyman, Edward53 and Tophership like this.
  8. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 15, 2018

+1 for all of the above.
    Impossible to give good advice without pics
    2 options for me:
    No pictures- no sale
    Or sale with with unquestioned return period if you’re not happy (after checking it here) when you get it home.

Tophership likes this.
  9. Tophership Jul 15, 2018

Thanks for the help guys, I'll work on all of this. I'll also keep dumbass posts to a minimum in the future. Tried to remove post altogether but it doesn't seem to let me.

GordonL likes this.
  10. bgrisso Jul 15, 2018

everyone starts their watch collecting somewhere, no reason to feel stupid

ICONO and Tophership like this.
  11. Shabbaz Jul 15, 2018

You should see my first omega...

Tophership likes this.
  12. Shabbaz Jul 15, 2018

Terrible... really... terrible...

13. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 15, 2018

Absolutely no need to remove the post.
    In fact, whilst in retrospect you might have thought it was ‘dumb-ass’ - others learn from you learning.
    One of the great things about this forum.
    (Just learn to be a bit more assertive with watch sellers when you’re going to put your money down ;))

connieseamaster, ICONO and Tophership like this.
  14. bgrisso Jul 15, 2018

it's a interesting point of view for the seller to not allow photos, to discourage other people from profiting off their watch. Because in some sense they have a watch, they set the price, and then anyone else looking to flip it is out there doing free sales and marketing, and then coming back to buy the watch at whatever price they set. You could argue that is a good thing, and exactly the outcome they desire; to sell the watch at their set price?

15. Buck2466 Jul 15, 2018

Is the watch returnable? If so, you could buy it and then post pics and if it doesn't make the cut with the members here you could return it.

16. Tophership Jul 15, 2018

The place I’m looking at is closed today, I’m going to get more information tomorrow. I’ll do a quick rundown and ask him to crack it open and grab some pics and If everything looks good, likely grab it if they hve a good return policy.

17. Tophership Jul 16, 2018

Turns out it was a bust, it was a redial. Womp womp, thanks to you guys I was able to tell the difference!

18. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 16, 2018

Another learning event.....:)

19. Shabbaz Jul 16, 2018

Great escape!

20. TexOmega Jul 16, 2018

Their reluctance for sharing pix was a big red flag for me. And their reasoning was silly.

All, IMHO, of course.

Tophership likes this.