1960 Omega Seamaster Cal. 570 With Crosshair Dial

For sale is a beautiful 1960 Omega Seamaster Caliber 570 with a crosshair or quadrant dial, reference 14725. Case, movement and dial in great condition. The watch was just serviced last week and cleaned up a bit. Stem and crown were missing originally so I had Omega factory parts put in. The crystal was also replaced as there was some scratching to it. Old crystal is included. Very classic looking and runs smoothly. Off white dial with crosshairs seems to be somewhat uncommon along with the caliber 570. Sorry about no pictures of the movement as I have no idea how to get the case back off so these pictures will have to do unless you can tell me how to get it off safely.

Looking to get $800 OBO

hF6Ri.jpg

nfJjm.jpg

h9Knn.jpg

Like 1
I think he typed in something and then changed it.

Yep. I can't delete my own posts on tapatalk. Or at least haven't worked out how to.

Oh, I have it on good authority ( ;) ) that it is a front-loader (I feel like Ian talking about a washing machine), where you remove the bezel and crystal in order to access the movement and caseback.

Ahhh that seems plausible as there doesn't seem to be a seam anywhere on the back that I could find. Have any info on the watch itself since you seem like you know of things like this? I have been able to find next to nothing on this bad boy

Interestingly, only one model was made with cal 570, according to OVD.

Does anyone know why? Was it not a good design?

Based on the model number and the "Swiss" on the dial, would I be right to assume it is a national production case (I.e. not a Swiss case)?

Seamaster
Gents' leather strap

Reference
CK 14725
International collection
Movement
Type: Automatic (mechanical)
Caliber number: 570 / 571
Cal. 570
Created in 1958, 17 jewels
Cal. 571
Created in 1958, 24 jewels
Both with central sweep-second hand
Case
Stainless steel
Case back
Unishell (case opening on dial side)
Dial
Metal, with "index" hour markers and "stick" hands.
Crystal
Armoured hesalite
Bracelet
Leather
Water resistance
30 meters

I found this a while back

"The 570/571 was a smaller, lower-cost automatic movement produced by Marc Favre which was acquired by SSIH in 1955 (SSIH was founded by Omega & Tissot in 1930). The design is similar to the other Omega automatics of this period. You don't see too many of these movements because only 40,000 were produced from 1958-1961. Why was it dropped? Probably because of the success of the larger 55X/56X calibers and that the smaller movement didn't fit into product plans."

"The movement looks very much like the 550-560 movements, except for the smaller diameter. There could have been other differences.
Given that the 570 and 550 family came out more or less during the same period and given the incredible success of the 550-560 family of movements (close to 6 million produced for the entire family), perhaps the 570 was over shadowed by the 550-560 and was simply phased out? "

But still, I have yet to find any exact match to what I've got, which is to some extent a little annoying

But still, I have yet to find any exact match to what I've got, which is to some extent a little annoying

Each model came in lots and lots of different dial colours/textures/etc. so you may not find an identical one . You've got the model number now, which is what matters.

Cal. 570
Created in 1958, 17 jewels
Cal. 571
Created in 1958, 24 jewels

The 17 jewel would have been the US import version to save on taxes. '58 and '59 were transition years for Omega - and several other brands. Lots of strange things happened and movements like the 570 and 591 were gone by the end of 1960.