1960/61 Seamaster Repair Help

1st post here, so a quick hello before I begin :)

I've copied and pasted my query from another forum site after being pointed here by someone else, it's too long to type it all again!

To make you aware, I know nothing about the ins and outs of mechanical/automatic watches so be gentle.

This was amongst a load of watches my late father-in-law had, there were quite a few very nice ones including this.

In my previous thread I was told it looked like the dial had been painted over at some point in it's history because there is literally no lettering on it, just the Omega symbol. Unfortunately I wouldn't think this is able to be restored and even if so would be hugely expensive I would imagine.

At the time of that thread, I was unable to open the back as it was seized to the case and I didn't want to damage it any. I had the tools but if I had done anything to it I would have been mortified! I had asked back then whether it was a genuine Seamaster or just an Omega with a Seamaster screwback fitted.

It's since been off to a watchmaker for a service and to confirm it's originality. I got it back yesterday but unfortunately nothing was done to it apart from them getting the back off and confirming it was genuine.

So this is where my repair questions are relevant.

1. The reason the watchmaker returned it without any work done was because on investigation of the movement they found the auto reverser was faulty and couldn't source the part/s to sort it. To confirm to you guys, when the crown is pulled and turned, the seconds hand kind of catches and moves with the hands when going anti-clockwise. Clockwise it's all good. I can wind it in my hand clockwise and it runs fine, if a little out on timing and the date wheel changes at 12 with no issues. It's got the 562 cal, 24 Jewel movement. Was the watchmaker right in not servicing it with the mentioned problem? Is it possible to service it in it's current state? What's involved in this sort of repair?

2. The other things that need doing is a new gasket and crystal, which should be easy to sort I guess? The existing gasket seems like plastic and is broken. Also I can't get it out, it seems wedged in the channel? Weirdly I have a gasket of the same material from a 1977 Seiko which randomly appears at a quick look to be at least the same diameter as this watch's channel, it's a match when laid loosely on top. Do you think I can do a swap or will I need an Omega specific one?

So thank you for any answers, I'm in the UK before anyone points me in the direction of watchmakers in their country, cheers.

Some internal pics from today and an older one of the front. The crystal makes it hard to see the exact condition of the dial:
1000014767.jpg 1000014757.jpg 1000014760.jpg 1000014761.jpg 1000014762.jpg 1000014763.jpg 1000014764.jpg 1000014765.jpg

Like 1
Nothing you mention should be difficult for a qualified watchmaker to sort, sounds like you need to find a better watchmaker, preferably with an Omega parts account.

Like 1
Reverser wheel is available and used in a number of Omega movements of the same time frame, so maybe just didn't want to.

There is a tool to open them up to clean

Hand moving backwards. Happens, but doesn't damage the movement

Company in Ontario, Canada called Dialcraft which is reasonable for dial refinishing. Do a search on the reference number (inside case back) and find a dial similar to yours and print it out.

Dialcraft (may still do) is replate the indexes and will also replate the hands to match

Need to get the dial refinished first before servicing the movement

For the movement. Can email or call Simon Freese He will find a new crystal and if you want. Could ask for a generic one. Will save quite a bit of money

Maybe show the dial

Like 1
Would you be willing to ship to the US? Tim Mackrain would be the first guy I could think of for the job. Great stash of NOS parts, great quality work, reasonable prices, quick turnaround. But he is in the US

Like 1
If you show photos of the rest of the watch, including the dial, we can probably give you more comprehensive advice. Also, it might be helpful to give us some idea of your goals with this watch. How much sentimental value does it have? There are many options. You could do nothing, and enjoy it as an artifact. You could have the mechanism restored, and enjoy it as a functional watch that is cosmetically identical to how the previous owner used it. You could have the movement repaired, dial repainted in a relatively economical way, and other cosmetic parts (e.g. the crown) replaced with period-correct parts. Or you could send it to the manufacturer for a comprehensive restoration. The prices for this range from zero to thousands of dollars.

Like 1
I just ordered a 552 off ebay. Similar to this watch. I have had a dial for decades for which I wanted a case and movement.

So I have been researching the so called 500 family of watches. The 562 is a base caliber, so the earlier parts are not compatible.

So far my parts searching has been productive. They made a lot of these watches and there are still quite a few spares in the pipeline. In some ways this is where the quality started to roll off in the early 1960s. OR These were some of the best watches ever made.

That must have been an exiting time in the industry. There were constant 'improvements' to the winding setups. New materials tried Wearing surfaces adjusted for improved reliability. Early use of computer analysis.

The UK still has a lot more of the traditional craft. So you are fortunate to be there, where there are at least a half dozen or more whom to choose from.

Dial refinishing is hit and miss. Such will never be the same as it once was. Much ink has been spilled over this and many keyboards pounded.

Like 1
Guess they didn't like what they heard there? :D

Screen Shot 2024-03-28 at 8.00.03 PM.png
Yeah the advice across on WUS was absolutely fine, but I thought I'd ask here as well to get some more opinions that's all:thumbsup:

Thank you for all of your replies so far guys, very helpful indeed.

@fenderjapan I'm going to contact him to ask the questions, I see he has his own website and an eBay store.

@DON I'll check out Dialcraft, I'm interested to see what they do.

@Dan S I would like to get the movement out so I can see the dial without the crystal obscuring the view, but I'm not 100% sure on how to. The crown/stem was easy, but the movement seems secured in by a couple of screws & "brackets" for want of a better word. I'm worried about trying in case something goes wrong!

@sheepdoll Thanks for the input, I hadn't really thought to see about searching for a complete movement.

Regarding the two specific questions in your post:

- A simple service (disassemble, clean, lubricate) is not likely to return the watch to good operating condition. Obviously the auto-winding will not work properly and there may be other issues. However, if you are on a very tight budget, you could simply remove most of the auto-winding mechanism and use the watch as a hand-winder after a service. Even bringing the base movement back to good working order might involve repairs and/or replacement parts, but it might be less expensive.

- A generic case-back seal is fine.

As for the un-asked question, the dial is indeed ruined. Your options are the ones I already gave you in my previous post.

Like 2
The problem with getting 'parts' movements, is that one eventually wants to 'fix' the spare movement. So it becomes an ever increasing hoard of watches.

It can also be way more expensive. In my case I had a dial for decades. Decided I wanted the rest of the watch. I probably could get a better example for less. On the other hand where is the fun in that? Sourcing parts can give one hours if not days weeks months, years or decades of pleasure.

Like 2