1960’s (?) Omega Seamaster consideration

Hi all,

First time poster so bear with me. I’m considering an Omega Seamster 34mm of unknown year for $600. Seller says it’s been serviced in the past year and runs -58 sec/day.

Is this an acceptable range/accuracy? Seller doesn’t have pictures of movement or case back. I've attached photos that I think are relevant. There are general photos showing the condition of the watch that I didn't include.

TIA

-58 SPD is poor timekeeping for a serviced Omega movement. Even if the timekeeping was better, I would not purchase this watch. Zoom in on the area of the photo just to the right of the date window and you'll see that there appears to have been water intrusion from the crown. There is obvious damage to the dial at the edge.

For $600 you should be able to find a very nice Seamaster DeVille and would pass on this one given dial damage. Would actually keep an eye on the omega eBay thread as Ash does a great job posting nice watches that end up in this price range.

FYI - This reference does not have a removable case back, the movement comes out the front.

-58 SPD is poor timekeeping for a serviced Omega movement. Even if the timekeeping was better, I would not purchase this watch. Zoom in on the area of the photo just to the right of the date window and you'll see that there appears to have been water intrusion from the crown. There is obvious damage to the dial at the edge.[/QUOTE

Thanks!

As someone new, how do you differentiate patina from water damage?

Patina tends to be spread evenly across the face of the dial. The photo below shows an older Seamaster of mine with a speckled patina. Water damage usually manifests itself as a dark discoloration accompanied by shriveling, cracking or flaking of the dial. Depending upon how much water entered the watch, it can be confined to one area (usually adjacent to the crown as this is the most common area for water to intrude) or it can spread across the entire dial and result in staining, flaking, cracking or bubbling of the dial enamel. With a little experience, you'll know the difference when you see it.
1379777-acb96366e9bd3a7ac5d336709bba05c6.jpg

And if it's ugly, it doesn't matter what you call it.
And Dan makes a good point here. Not all patina is attractive.

This number is more concerning. Recent service? I say no.

upload_2023-9-14_21-33-3.png
And if you were to input the correct lift angle, the amplitude would drop even further.