Forums Latest Members
  1. Montezoraida Feb 5, 2018

I'm seeking any information to explain or understand inconsistencies in identifying this watch. It is an automatic Seamaster De Ville that has been passed on to me from my father. My father passed away in June of 1959, so a logical understanding would date this watch prior to that date. Where I'm having confusion is trying to match it to any Seamaster De Ville with all of the same design elements.
    I know that Omega produced an automatic Seamaster De Ville in 1959. But any examples I have found show a different style of hands and different design in the crown. I have found similar hands and crown on later models ( which adds to my confusion). I also am having trouble in understanding the lack of a Seamaster logo on the back of the watch. I've noticed that the Hippocampus logo appears on earlier designs of Seamaster watches, and yet is eliminated on certain later models of that watch.
    Anyway, I'll post pictures below and ask that any input from members here would be greatly appreciated in helping me understand this watch. The watch was originally bought in New York..
    20180110_132411.jpg 20180110_132727.jpg 20180110_144441.jpg 20180113_144516.jpg 20180113_144620.jpg

2. Noddyman Feb 5, 2018

Here’s mine with same dial (+date window), hands and crown. It looks to be a ref 165.020 with a presentation case, hence the lack of Hippocampus on the caseback. Mine dates to 1963 , yours does seem a little early for this model but I could be wrong. The serial no. on the movement would reveal all.

4CD0246B-7A6A-4B35-B6AB-DF90364B8A02.jpeg
    Edited Feb 5, 2018
    Spruce likes this.
  3. Montezoraida Feb 5, 2018

Thanks, Noddyman. Part of what I'm trying to accomplish is to identify the watch date by without the expense of having a watch maker open it up to make a more exact determination of it's manufacture date. I am on a fixed income and due to my financial embarrassment I hope to pass that expense on to the intended recipient of this watch - my son in law.- He is a watch collector and in a financial state better able to get that information. The watch has never been serviced, which I understand from reading the threads here might constitute an act of gross negligence on my part. Although the watch works like a charm.
    I'm not familiar with the term or meaning of what a "presentation case "is. If you or anybody can elaborate what that is it would be appreciated.

4. Davidt Feb 5, 2018

The hands and crown all seem to be correct to me.

A presentation case back is one where the hippocampus is ommited to give a large plain surface for an engraving, however many of these case backs were left plain.

Here's mine, also with a plain back.

IMG_2089.JPG

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 5, 2018

Dr No likes this.
  6. Noddyman Feb 5, 2018

7. palkastu Feb 5, 2018

If I remember correctly the Seamaster De Ville was produced between 1963 and 1967, and as @Noddyman points out you need the serial number on the movement to find a more exact answer.
    It wont cost much to open the case for some pictures at a watchmaker either. Just dont try it yourself as the movement has to be taken out in the front on these watches :)
    Here is a couple of mine btw:
    Omega Seamaster DeVille - 1.jpg Omega Seamaster DeVille - 4.jpg

Hetcins1, SJS, Spruce and 1 other person like this.
  8. mydeafcat Feb 5, 2018

If I can pop in here, SMDVs were produced after 1967. Like many folks, I thought that year was the cut off, but having done a bit of research (along with Norman’s consummate expertise and deep knowledge) it seems that Omega produced a few SMDVs well into the 1970’s.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/authentic-or-not-1972-omega-seamaster-de-ville.68247/#post-858406

Your late father’s watch is lovely, btw.

Edited Feb 5, 2018
  9. Montezoraida Feb 6, 2018

Thank you all for your replies. You've been very helpful. I now understand what a presentation case is, and that it doesn't necessarily detract from the legitimacy of the watch. I wasn't sure whether lacking the hippocampus logo on the back was putting it into some sort of a knockoff category. I've seen where SMDV's were advertised for sale with a five point Omega trademark authentication. Signed crystal, hippocampus logo on back, crown, Omega symbol and Omega name applique on the face. And this particular watch doesn't have two of those authentication assurances.
    palkastu, I'll certainly heed your advice of not trying to open the watch on my own. Life has already taught me that if you don't know what you are doing..just leave it alone and let somebody who does know do it. If I can get the watch opened and photographically document the movement and serial numbers for under $100.USD I would consider that a worthwhile expenditure. Especially if it confirms my original assumption of a 1959 manufacture date. That's the mystery I'm trying to solve. Thank you again, everybody.

10. Caliber561 Feb 6, 2018

Looks original to me. This looks to be one of those nicer dials with the onyx-indices, but it's kind of hard to tell without a clearer picture.

11. NeoTorr Dec 17, 2021

Any updates on your findings? @Montezoraida
    I acquired a similar SMDV lately with a presentation caseback too.

12. Vanallard Dec 17, 2021

His findings won't assist you very much. You'll need to check the serial number of your watch if you want to know when it was manufactured.

sleepyastronaut likes this.
  13. DON Dec 17, 2021

There are no findings as he disappeared during this post as many are opt to do.

DON

14. PlainVanilla Dec 23, 2021

Omega didn't write "Seamaster DeVille" on their dials before the end of 1962, which is inconsistent with this watch dating from 1959. An early Seamaster DeVille should only show "Seamaster" on the dial.

15. Truva1 Dec 24, 2021

I think SMDV was produced between 62 and 67. After 62 De Vill became own sub line like Constellation or Seamaster and Seamaster script disappeared from the dial, leaving room for only De Vill.

16. NeoTorr Dec 24, 2021

It's 67 not 62 when Omega De Ville Collection was introduced.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/chronicle/1967-the-de-ville-is-born

In 1967, OMEGA launched the De Ville watch collection, dropping Seamaster from its dial design, and came into its own with the Calibre 565-powered timepiece.

17. NeoTorr Dec 24, 2021

18. Truva1 Dec 24, 2021

You are absolutely right. Thanks for correcting me.