Forums Latest Members
  1. Rustay Nov 7, 2018

Aye sorry , seamaster and I like automatics manual

2. Shabbaz Nov 7, 2018

3. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Nov 7, 2018

Ok, if you want some advice, here it is. Be patient. Decide if you want a pretty, refinished, looks like new, ready to wear watch. Or... if you want a vintage watch that has character, patina, individuality.
    Research. If you can, try on watches. Many of these watches you will not like when seen on the wrist. Again, be patient and good luck.

Edward53 and Rustay like this.
  4. Shabbaz Nov 7, 2018

When a vintage black dial looks like it was made yesterday, most of the time it is.

5. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 7, 2018

So true. Those that crave the Don Draper look often overlook that his was a redial too...

Samir and Rustay like this.
  6. time flies Nov 7, 2018

Gee wiz...is this guy something other than a guy trying to figure it all out? If so? Nail his ass to the wall. But really?

have fun. or not.
    kfw

7. Dan S Nov 7, 2018

An FYI for the OP, black dials were less common, and many black dials deteriorated badly, so many collectors find that the vast majority of black-dialed Omega watches from that era are repainted. That's not to say that you can't find an original dial, but you will have to be extra patient and careful, and most likely you will need to be ok with some damage to the dial. If a pristine original black dial comes to market, people go crazy for it and the price skyrockets. So in some ways you are diving into the deep end of the pool right off the bat.

Samir and Rustay like this.
  8. Rustay Nov 7, 2018

No just a bloke starting from scratch mate

kingsrider likes this.
  9. Shabbaz Nov 7, 2018

Remember people, there's no such thing as a stupid question. We all started poorly. But try to read up now you know there's much more to it. And OF has a lot of valuable info. Use this in your search. And if all fails, ask OF. Good luck!

Rustay likes this.
  10. Rustay Nov 7, 2018

Thanks for the link , appreciated as there’s so many . Aye will step back curb me enthusiasm and learn to be selective cheers nearly all of you

Shabbaz likes this.
  11. Rochete Nov 7, 2018

I don't sell on ebay but I can assure you that some of those rare "retired Omega employee" do exist. One of my watchmakers is, he has serviced quite a few of my Omega, although I recently stopped giving watches to him due to advanced age (80 something). But he still takes ocasional jobs and he's got a huge stock of vintage parts.

But of course those watches shown above are mostly overpriced crap.

Rustay likes this.
  12. Davidt Nov 7, 2018

It's not that those people don't exist, it's that the actual phase "serviced by a retired Omega employee" is a well known phrase used by several dealers that sell over polished and frequently (undeclared) redialled watches on eBay.

They look pretty from afar but have very little collector value and the redials are usually exceedingly poor.

Rustay, Rochete and padders like this.