Forums Latest Members
  1. Carlsur Jul 3, 2018

Hi all, my first post on this forum.
    I have been given a 1959 geneve cal 552 by my father in law, it has been in a box with assorted crap for 20 years has some sentimental attachment but his curious brother in law decided to dismantle the watch with a hacksaw, the back is now lost,
    Question 1,
    can a new back be sourced and can it be fitted and seal, the watch is in remarkably good unmolested condition or do I get new case
    Question 2
    How do I tell whether it is solid gold or plated ( there are signs of wear but under the plating it is still the same colour image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg )

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 3, 2018

Looking at the saw marks on the case it’s solid.

The dial has been refinished though.

3. Professor Jul 3, 2018

I was told Omega no longer sold replacement cases to the USA watch makers. I suspect to prevent counterfeiting.

Case backs for Omega products are often advertised on Ebay, complete cases are occasionally found but fetch ridiculously high prices even in badly beat up condition. They often want as much for a poor condition case as a good condition watch might bring.

4. ulackfocus Jul 3, 2018

Oh dear, look at the butcher job on that! :(

I hate to say this, but it might be worth scrapping what's left of the case, then selling the dial, hands, and caliber.

5. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jul 3, 2018

Definitely gold plated/filled and would be worth it to just look for a new case. Hopefully someone can give you the case number, since that number is stamped on the missing back. I think your dial may be in pretty good shape, but it is tuff to tell from the pictures.

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 3, 2018

How is it plated/filled if you look at the deep saw marks on the case?

ulackfocus likes this.
  7. Professor Jul 3, 2018

Unless you stumble over a complete case I'd just find a usable back and leave the rest well enough alone. When wearing it no one is going to see the back anyway.
    Otherwise you can keep an eye out for a non working example of this model being sold under Parts or Repair and switch out the works, then sell the old case and non working innards to recoup part of the cost.

I've heard of cases damaged worse than this being restored by welding. Laser welding perhaps.

8. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jul 3, 2018

Look at the lugs, corners completely worn.

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 3, 2018

I don’t see it as anything more then lighting and one of those corners is pretty worn and still gold.

The very deep hack saw marks opposite the crown on the back of the case seem pretty conclusive it’s solid gold....

It looks like they hacksawed from the side to make a lip to pop off the case back.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 4, 2018

That is not true. If the watchmaker is Omega certified, they can certainly order cases. Omega stopped selling parts to third party resellers so people who relied on that way of sourcing parts and don't want to bother getting certified will sometimes make up crazy theories to explain why they can't get parts...

11. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 4, 2018

Hi @Foo2rama

On first look at the case edges it looks to be gold filled. and I dont see any hallmarks under the lugs.... but better pics in strong light we show us its either sold or plated.... the lugs edges looks worn to me...

But the dial is not refinished in my opinion..

Bill

12. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jul 4, 2018

Look at where the bracelet has chewed through the gold plate. There is no way that case is not plated.

13. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 4, 2018

For sure major wear to the lugs.

image.jpg

Lucasssssss likes this.
  14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 4, 2018

Idk the deep hack saw marks are still gold...

On the dial I see some inconsistencies with the minute track and the cross hair is not aligned through 6-9.

Just my observations.

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 4, 2018

All that glitters is not gold...I would say it's a plated brass case...

And yes I know that's not the real quote.

Foo2rama likes this.
  16. Carlsur Jul 4, 2018

I have taken some more photos with the band removed and you can see the wear showing the edges of the plating, I have never heard of gold plated brass used in these watches but then I am new to Omega,
    Q
    How much to get it replated and is it worth the expense as I do like the watch and would wear it.
    The case in a 14702 after doing a bit of research does anyone know we're I can get a new case with back image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg