Forums Latest Members

1958 - Omega Watch Identification

1. bmf Oct 26, 2017

Hi folks,

New here. And thank you in advance for receiving me.

In 2014 my grandmother passed -- and I (as executor of her estate) had to inventory here belongings. Insodoing, I found a beautiful Omega watch that belonged to my grandfather (who predeceased my grandmother in the early 1960s). Apparently the watch was a gift given to my grandfather - for graduating 1st in his class in medical school, as indicated on the back of the watch.

I am wondering if anyone can identify the watch - I've looked through the Omega database and haven't been able to find the exact model anywhere.

Thank you for reading, and for any assistance.

IMG_3708.JPG
    Edited Oct 27, 2017
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 26, 2017

It is highly unlikely that you will find a match in the Omega Vintage Database. This looks like a US market Omega with a domestically made case. These were generally either gold-filled or solid 14K gold.

The models were unique to the US market and mostly unknown to the Swiss, who simply sold finished movements to their US distributor, Nornan Morris Co.

If you take the watch to a jeweler, they should be able to open it up and then you can take pictures of the movement and the inside of the case back. From there, you might be able to use the model number to Google similar watches. Although sometimes, Omega only produced a few of each dial style.

The serial number on the movement will also help to confirm the production year to 1958 or just prior.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

noelekal and bmf like this.
  3. bmf Oct 26, 2017

Thank you very much for the note -- good to know it wasn't terrible search skills that caused the inability to find a match in the database. The watch case does indicate it's 14K Gold.