Forums Latest Members
  1. FineTime1960 Apr 6, 2013

IMG_2991.jpg IMG_2985.jpg IMG_2966.jpg IMG_2965.jpg IMG_2983.jpg Hi all - my first post, I am hoping to get some thoughts on a recent purchase. I just picked up a 1958 Constellation ... hoping I made a good call. Any feedback on the pics / listing appreciated ... I will recieve it next week and the seller offered no questions asked returns .... which was key to my decision. Any thoughts appreciated - Thanks!

Here was description of watch

14K SOLID GOLD snap back with FABULOUS LONG TAPERED lugs. The case back features the classic observatory along with the words CONSTELLATION and WATERPROOF. Marked 14K 0.585 inside the case back, with the original ink reference numbers still present, it is also hallmarked on the back of the upper right and lower left lugs.
    MOVEMENT
    CLASSIC ROSE gilt 24-jewel cal 505 CHRONOMETER rotor wind automatic movement, with swans neck fine regulation, adjusted five positions and temperature, which winds, sets, and runs smoothly and is keeping good time having been FULLY SERVICED cleaned, oiled and adjusted, with a 6-month warranty.
    DIAL
    BEAUTIFUL ORIGINAL TWO-TONE silver PIE-PAN with a STRIKING combination of applied 14K GOLD MULTI-FACETED DAGGER figures with 14K GOLD Omega symbol, script and star. ORIGINAL GOLD hands as well. Shows some aging, but much to nice to refinish.
    SIZE
    34.9-mm wide not including the SIGNED crown x 45-mm from lug tip to lug tip.

This solid 14K gold Omega is signed EIGHT TIMES on the BUCKLE, strap, case (2X), crown, crystal, dial and movement and is furnished ready to wear with a NEW 18mm regular length Omega strap with signed gold plated Omega buckle as well as a clean signed Omega crystal.

[FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri] [/FONT][/FONT]

2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 6, 2013

Beautiful time piece. The dial looks original to me. The case has been polished....especially in the case back. The stars in medallion almost gone. movement looks OK. hope you get it at the right price.

Overall a beautiful solid watch. Congrats and welcome

3. ulackfocus Apr 6, 2013

I think the stars are part of normal wear. If the caseback was overpolished, the engraved CONSTELLATION and WATERPROOF would be muc shallower. The watch was only lightly polished - you can still see the bezel's bevel. Overall a nice watch with an original dial, correct crown, and a nearly pristine movement.

4. FineTime1960 Apr 6, 2013

Thanks! I really debated this a long time - was going to buy a new watch, but just loved the vintage omegas (and Hamiltons). I am sure there are better deals out there - but I think I was treated fairly, and the return / warranty policy was huge for me.

5. ulackfocus Apr 6, 2013

Your seller is a member here. He contributes regularly too. Also, he's one of the good eBay sellers and is honest with his pictures, showing any flaws. A few of us, including me, have purchased from him.

FineTime1960 likes this.
  6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 6, 2013

Ah true, I just noticed the tag in the images, Norm's a good bloke and probably more of a vintage collector than a typical watch dealer, if he sold pot instead of piepans he'd be stoned most of the time, I'll put it that way ;)

You've done well with that one, the sharks tooth markers look really nice in gold

boat2dan and FineTime1960 like this.
  7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 6, 2013

You are right. I am still training my eyes to see case imperfection.

8. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 6, 2013

Well, looking at the unevenness of the minute markers at 10, 11 and 1 o'clock markers, the ChronometER ended with ER, I prefer to have a closer look to confirm it is original

[​IMG]

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 6, 2013

I've got the identical dial in stainless rather than gold and its ER with the same characteristic fine patina to the outer edge of the piepan

10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 6, 2013

I thought the markers problem is only photo angle trick.....hmmm need closer and better angle picture

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 6, 2013

Here's a close up of the dial from my dad's SS 2852 with crosshair shark's tooth pie-pan dial, and this one is most definitely original.

IMG_5923.jpg

FineTime1960 likes this.
  12. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 6, 2013

I know, some of them ended with ER but quite rare, most of them ended with RE.
    So, whenever you see an ER , you should have a closer look

13. Dablitzer Apr 6, 2013

That'a a nice example, caseback a little polished but not enough to turn me off. I have purchased from Norm and it was hassle free. I especially like his meticulous presentation and knowledge of what he's selling. Makes all the difference, A good guy. Congrats.

FineTime1960 likes this.
  14. FineTime1960 Apr 6, 2013

Another pic of dial straight on - Thanks for the comments on the seller - I agree, he seemed to be a very good guy and very knowledgeable ...

IMG_2989.jpg
  15. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 6, 2013

The minute markers at 10, 11 o'clock look too bad

16. pitpro Likes the game. Apr 6, 2013

agree. 6 and 12 hour are off too.

17. FineTime1960 Apr 6, 2013

in what way? Comparing to the dial posted by DSIO I see no difference at all

18. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 6, 2013

That's ok, enjoy the watch.

19. pitpro Likes the game. Apr 6, 2013

Not lined up equidistant between neighboring minute hashes in the case of the hour markers.
    Not centered with the vertical crosshair on the 6 and 12 hour markers.
    Flip the picture 90 degrees and you can see easier.
    Hope this helps

20. FineTime1960 Apr 6, 2013

Thanks all - I'll take a closer look at the actual watch when it arrives - but in general I'm happy with the choice - certainly seems to be enough folks out here vouching for the seller.