Forums Latest Members
  1. coredriller Dec 6, 2018

www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2018/important-watches-n09952/lot.74.html

I have been looking for a 1956 Olympic edition seamaster for some time and so was interested when the above watch came up for auction in yesterdays sale. However, when the lot was presented the auctioneer said that there was to be no reserve price and the watch which had been estimated between $US 5-700 sold for only 2.5K. The condition report and movement number seemed ok, I wasn't sure about the case number.
    Should I be kicking myself for missing a great bargain of congratulating myself by not buying a dud.
    I look forward to reading your opinions.

2. JanV Dec 6, 2018

I know that two of these have sold here in nordics the last month on auctions for approx. 2500 -3.500€. So the Sotheby’s hammer price sounds about right comparing to the two sold here.

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 6, 2018

From the lone photo provided, I can tell the the crown had been replaced and the case had been heavily polished.

The dial looks original and is the scarce Olympic Crest version.

Price is probably OK, but not a huge bargain after factoring in the buyer’s commission.
    gatorcpa

4. coredriller Dec 6, 2018

Thank you for your prompt replies. The only ones like it that I've seen for sale by dealers here seem to be priced between £6000 and £11,000 and some of those look a little dubious.