Forums Latest Members
  1. mdclips May 23, 2015

Hi - new to the forum. Here's the story.
    I have (pictured) my Dad's 1954 Omega Seamaster Calendar. It is dear to me.
    After many, many years of constant use it was handed down to me. It was keeping good time.
    I wore it almost every day, but when I skipped wearing it a few days I would have to adjust the date by advancing the time around and around. I read that I could set it quicker by advancing until the date changed, and then back to 9 and then forward to 12, and repeat.
    I did this to advance the date, and there was a lot of resistance from the crown, but it did advance the date. After advancing the date this way a few times, the crown "unwound" and came off in my hand.
    I took it to a local recommended jeweler that said it just needed a good cleaning ($240) and all would be well. - I was relieved.
    I just got the watch back and notice a couple things:
    1) the function of advancing the date by going from 9 to 12 does not work
    2) the second hand moves a little erratically. some seconds move quickly, some seem to last longer. It still keeps good time. Not sure if this is unusual - I didn't notice it before.

When I asked the jeweler about the date advance function not working, he said the watch didn't have that function, and if it did, you wouldn't want use it because of something about the teeth on the calendar wheel being fragile.

I'm 99.9% sure the function was working prior to service (albeit not without a lot of friction)

Can someone advise on the advance function? Did the jeweler mess up?
    Anything else to know?
    Thanks in advance.

image1.JPG image2.JPG
    Giff2577 likes this.
  2. redpcar May 23, 2015

Does the date still kick over at 12? I don't see how this could happen knowing how the wheel works.
    Regarding the seconds hand, I have had that happen. Take it back to the watchmaker. He will be able to adjust/fix.

3. mdclips May 23, 2015

yes - the date still kicks over at 12, just not again when you go back to 9 and then advance past 12.
    So the irregular second hand is an adjustment?

4. redpcar May 23, 2015

I believe it is a simple fix for the loose second hand. Your watchmaker should take care of this.
    I can't understand what has changed in the date gear that would not allow you to back it up to 9 and advance to kick the date. Have you tried backing it up further? Say........to 8 or 7?
    There are plenty of more qualified people on this list to answer. Hold tight.

5. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! May 23, 2015

Don't know about the date thing. As for the second hand jumping, it's common in Omega movements becuase the second hand is driven by a secondary source instead of directly from the train, which is called indirect center seconds. There's a tension spring, if it's not just right, you get that jumping effect.

Tom

mondodec likes this.
  6. mdclips May 24, 2015

Anyone else have experience with the date set function?

7. TNTwatch May 24, 2015

The jeweller lied. It worked before, it doesn't work now after he "fixed" it. Is there any reason to think he was telling the truth?

The 503 movement on your watch does have the semi-quick date setting, just like how you'd operated it before.

8. Vintage May 24, 2015

Hi, your Omega is 1958, not 1954. ( big hippocampus logo start at 1958) Try to restore the hands, is not expensive and will give your watch a new fresh face.
    Date set by changing 23 - 24 h. Check power reserve first, caliber 503 has 46 h.
    Try with another watch maker, is not expensive buy spares or a 503 movement for take replacement spares.
    Good luck.

9. mdclips May 24, 2015

Ok - thanks. My Dad is pretty sure it was bought prior to '58 - his Dad bought it for him in Germany, and the band was added in about 1961. Not to say memories are perfect. Are you sure it could not be prior to '58, even in Europe?
    Can you recommend a watchmaker - either someone to send it to or some near Maryland/Washington DC?

10. TNTwatch May 24, 2015

The book Omega A Journey Through Time mentions that the Seahorse back was first introduced in 1958. The calibre 503 was first made in 1955 and the case 2849 in 1956, so your dad's memory is pretty close to Omega's record. If you have the serial number from the movement, it can be checked against some known records also.

The two issues with your watch are relatively simple to fixed, provided the watchmaker has learned of what to do. Just bring it back and insist he fixes it properly or refund your money.

11. mdclips May 24, 2015

12. Vintage May 24, 2015

Sorry, but I don't know any good watchmaker near Maryland, but for sure some member of this Forum can help you.
    About Seahores/hippocampus date: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/hippocampus-omega-question-633149.html

"A seahorse emblem has graced the casebacks of this line since 1958 as a symbol for water-resistance, and is now one of the best-known trademarks in the world of watches. The logo was conceived by engraver Jean-Pierre Borle, who was inspired in Venice by an image of Neptune, the Roman god of the sea, driving a chariot pulled by seahorses (this is why the Omega seahorses wear bridles)."

Giff2577 likes this.
  13. mdclips May 24, 2015

Thanks. - yes - recommendations for a good Omega repairman would be good.
    As far as the date of the watch and the back - I guess the numbers in the case should tell the story. I'll find out.

14. Vintage May 24, 2015

Serial number in the movement.