Forums Latest Members
  1. IRCM Aug 18, 2015

Hi, all.
    I am a new member on here and I hope some of you may be able to help me find out more info about my late Father's Cal 283 watch. As far as I know, he bought the watch in the Middle East in around 1953.
    I have done some research (including contacting Omega - still waiting for some more feedback from them) and the serial number supports the age (14804701 - tallies with a manufacture date of 1954 according to other resources.)
    The watch still works well, but I admit i do not know how accurate it is.
    IMG_1851.JPG IMG_1855.JPG IMG_1862.JPG IMG_1881.JPG
    The case number (Ref No) is BK2810-2SC. I checked the Omega website and the nearest match (a CK2810) seems to be from their "International Collection". I assume this means it was only available outside of Europe??
    It is gold-plated (14K, I think.)

The watch has been repaired previously, back in the 1970's I think, after it was damaged in an accident so I think the face, hands and winder may have been replaced. I am keen to find out more about the watch and to see if anyone has any pictures of how it "should" look, as I would like to have it restored so that I can continue to wear it.
    Omega website indicates it would cost upwards of $900 for their watchmakers to restore it......alot of money!!

On the subject of restoration: can any members recommend a watchmaker in the USA who has a track record of quality, reliable restoration work using official Omega parts? (I now live in Texas.)

I've added some photos, so I hope they attach correctly. Due to lighting, the case back appears to be different material in one photo. Appreciate any input/feedback.

Thanks!!

2. IRCM Aug 19, 2015

UPDATE: Unfortunately the official Omega site wasn't much help. They replied stating they do not do appraisals and provided no further info.
    I've been searching alot of websites and starting to see conflicting info around dates and model details.
    I'll keep looking. Alot of info out there on the web.....once I have some better info I'll let you know what I found out.

Appreciate any info members can offer, including any recommendations for watchmakers who can carry out restoration work.

Thanks again.

3. TexOmega Aug 19, 2015

Welcome to the Forum!

Nice heirloom, I'd keep as is, looks nice from here.

Search here first, then hit the Google, and select IMAGES if you want to see various dials over the years.

If it works, most likely just needs cleaning, oiling, and regulation.

4. ChrisN Aug 19, 2015

You've got most of the information already so you've done a good search. It looks a nice heirloom as Tex says.

The movement is nice and clean for something sixty years old and after a service should run very well. Crystals and crowns (winders) are available to suit this model and I'd replace those, the seal to the case back and clean up the case. Your photos are not too clear of the case but it looks okay.

The dial and hands are as your father wore it so, consider keeping them. You can get used dials for this movement but the style may be different to the one you have so think before changing them.

Can't recommend anyone in US as I'm based in Europe, sorry.

Cheers, Chris

5. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 19, 2015

JohnSteed likes this.
  6. IRCM Aug 19, 2015

Thanks, TexOmega, ChrisN and UncleBuck.
    Had a look at some of the other images on the web and (as ChrisN says) it does look like the hands and dial are as originally bought. This is good to know. Looking at the one on the link UncleBuck provided, I see it looks like it's on a bracelet. I do remember my father having an expandable bracelet many years ago. A quick search came up with "Excalibur" bracelets- but I think it looks better on a leather strap. It almost certainly came with a leather strap, so that's what I'll fit.

The case has a fair bit of wear and tear and the gold plating is worn off in places. I've read some info indicating some restorers can re-plate, so this is something else I'll investigate.

Thanks for the input and links etc. When I find someone to restore it, I'll upload some pics of the finished item.

7. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Aug 19, 2015

One thing I am very sure is the second hand it' s not original to the watch

8. IRCM Aug 20, 2015

Thanks for that! I just looked around a few example photos on the web, and the Second hand on those does NOT have the "arrowhead" shape. I hadn't noticed this before, as I'd only compared the hour and minute hands.

9. IRCM Sep 16, 2015

Update. Watch is now with a watchmaker for service and cleaning. He managed to source an original Omega crown, so this will be replaced. A new crystal should help improve the looks, and a new strap.
    I'll let you know hot it goes, and post some photos.

10. tamura Sep 17, 2015

My 2810 stainless steel omega with wrong color hands.
    omefrank1b.jpg
    omefrank2.jpg
    omefrank4.jpg

Edited Sep 17, 2015
    IRCM likes this.
  11. IRCM Sep 17, 2015

Nice. Mine has alot of surface scratches, so I don't think it'll look as "fresh" as yours when it's finished. The gold-filled case is eroded in places, so the watchmaker advised against polishing. Looking forward to getting it back and seeing how it looks, though.

tamura likes this.
  12. IRCM Oct 7, 2015

I got my watch back from service. New crystal, new crown, clean/lube service, and a new strap.

As promised a while ago, here are some 'after' photos.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

13. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Oct 7, 2015

Good job, it's a lovely heirloom to have, did they take all of the gold plating off? The movement looks great, how accurate is it now?

14. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Oct 7, 2015

It reminds me of myself..........good strong straightforward lines......a few battle scars.....all with interesting tales
    Enjoy it in good health!.

15. tamura Oct 7, 2015

Nice! Good work.:thumbsup:

Edited Oct 8, 2015
    IRCM likes this.
  16. IRCM Oct 8, 2015

Thanks. The plating is still intact, but has eroded through to the steel around the edges of the lugs. The watchmaker recommended not polishing as he felt it would wear away even more. The movement was surprisingly clean when I opened it up, but even better now. No internal work was needed and it already kept decent time. It was tested for accuracy, but I never asked what the result was (it wasn't losing noticeably when I compared it to a digital watch, and it only has about 24hrs run time, so I wasn't too bothered. Maybe I should go back and ask.......)

17. IRCM Oct 8, 2015

Certainly seen alot of action over the years, but still has alot of life in it.