1952 Seamaster Bumper 354 cal stem and crown question

This may be a stupid question, but what size screwdriver is needed to remove the stem from the 354 movement It seems Like none of them in my set are small enough and second where is my best bet to field the required crown and stem. Thank you in advance. Jon

I really don’t mean to put you down but, if you don’t know what screwdriver is needed, if your set doesn’t have the right size and, if you feel the need to ask the question on a watch forum, just what do you think you’re doing, removing the stem from a quality vintage watch? :whipped:

I really don’t mean to put you down but, if you don’t know what screwdriver is needed, if your set doesn’t have the right size and, if you feel the need to ask the question on a watch forum, just what do you think you’re doing, removing the stem from a quality vintage watch? :whipped:

Spruce! Are you describing me?

This may be a stupid question, but what size screwdriver is needed to remove the stem from the 354 movement It seems Like none of them in my set are small enough and second where is my best bet to field the required crown and stem. Thank you in advance. Jon

This is NOT the watch to use as a victim for fledgling attempts at learning watch repair. But if it is your watch, go ahead! You might want to rent an impact wrench!

This is NOT the watch to use as a victim for fledgling attempts at learning watch repair. But if it is your watch, go ahead! You might want to rent an impact wrench!

It's my watch I have cheaper watches but I wanna work on this one. So what I paid for it? I was just asking for advice from people that are friendly to reply. find another way to deal with your issues.God bless

It's my watch I have cheaper watches but I wanna work on this one. So what I paid for it? I was just asking for advice from people that are friendly to reply. find another way to deal with your issues.God bless

Well, your opening post started out with the words stupid question! I agree!

you can try the old materials houses like OFrei, Esslinger, Paylak etc. Stems seem to be widely available. Crowns not so much.
eBay is the last resort, but sometimes it is all the amateur has. To many abused the spare parts system to make frankens. Even those who should have known better have dipped into the archives from time to time...

When dealing with material houses it is best to be professional. Keep things simple and ask for the part in question. Never ask for advice. Some of these places are sitting on a century or so of materials. No one wants to sort through it without good reason. On the other hand they are their to sell it to the qualified.

As for the tools. Best to get something by Bergeon or Horotek. Yes they are more expensive. A stone and sharpener holder is also advisable. Knowing how to dress a blade can go a long way to satisfaction.

I used to know one of the top NY watchmakers, who supposedly learned on the streets of Buenos Ares. Using street sweeper bristles sharpening them on the granite paving stones. He would pick up the cast of bristles, which now are mostly nylon.

If some of the people here seem short. It is only that they have had to deal with some of this for many years. In the long run it is no different than a part what pinged onto the other side of the room (only to be found on the bridge of one's nose. Few watchmakers I have met are warm and fuzzy. Most are wondering why things do not work the way they should.

Thank you, smart guy I will forever cherish Is your insight.

Spruce! Are you describing me?
Perish the thought!! 😉