Forums Latest Members
  1. John R Smith Sep 12, 2013

This is quite an unusual Seamaster Calendar with the date at six, guilloche dial, and numerals at 2, 4, 8, 10, 12. The case is steel, reference 2627.

The dial looks old, with quite a lot of spotting to the waffle finish, but I wonder if it is really original? Have a look at the "Seamaster" script and it seems the two 'a's are different.

09.jpg

Seamaster Calendar 2.jpg

What do you think?

John

2. ulackfocus Sep 12, 2013

Need to see better pictures, but I'd lean towards original. At least the date window is the correct rectangular shape for the pre-1953 reference 2627.

3. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Sep 12, 2013

FWIW - waffle dials are extremely difficult to get right and to photograph. It looks original to me, but we need better pictures to see more detail.
    I was digginf through my files to find hi-res images of a waffle dial Seamaster I have. On this example the hands were relumed, but otherwise all is original.
    [​IMG]

4. John R Smith Sep 12, 2013

Thank you, Dennis and Joe. Interestingly, the lume is missing not only from the hands but also from the hour batons. I must admit I have an irrational fondness for these old cases with open-sided lugs (it certainly makes changing straps a whole lot easier!)

Alright, assuming that it is the original dial, how about price? The seller is asking £850 or $1,275 USD, which seems a lot. Or perhaps these first calendar examples with the square window actually do command a premium. What do you think?

John

5. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Sep 12, 2013

TBH - I have not been following the differences between first and later calendar examples. However, based on what bumper calendars are going for and the overall condition of the case - I would think 1,275$ is high. My 2c

6. ulackfocus Sep 12, 2013

In that condition, it's a $650 watch tops.

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 12, 2013

I might give it another 100 for the RG markers.

8. Dablitzer Sep 12, 2013

That was my watch, I think its original, dial doesn't look anywhere near as bad in real life. The markers and dial layout is uncommon, I haven't seen any like it since I started collecting. Edit: agree something has been touched on the dial. And the price is way too much!

9. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 12, 2013

The missing lume on the daggers gives me a bad feeling, I think its at the very least been cleaned, lume doesn't go easily missing on these, especially a neatly and evenly as we see here.

£850 or $1,275 USD, is crazy, I'd be with Dennis, perhaps even less maybe $575.00.

10. John R Smith Sep 13, 2013

Thank you, gentlemen. The consensus seems to be that this watch is very much over-priced. A pity that I didn't buy it from you, Alex ;)

I shall move on to pastures new . . .

11. Dablitzer Sep 13, 2013

No worries John. I had this early on, when I started collecting. It was a good price too. Are you specifically looking for a date at 6 model?

12. John R Smith Sep 13, 2013

Not really . . . it was more the combination of a steel case (I've got too many gold-cap), open-sided lugs, and the numbers at 2, 4, 8 and 10 on a guilloche dial. But the original square date window was certainly a bonus. My small collection seems to have focused on the early 1950s, and this is a nice variant.