Forums Latest Members
  1. Dan51 Mar 31, 2015

1952 Omega Automatic losing minutes - please advise!

1. Thanks to everyone who posted replies...I have a question:

The watch is losing *minutes* instead of seconds per day. In the winder for 24 hours (I have tried several different rotation modes/times, no luck) and I lost 6 full minutes. I suspect that because I used a local jeweler and not someone intimately familiar with Omega I need to send it to someone reputable for a thorough diagnosis.

Question: Who do you recommend?

Thanks very much.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    2. [​IMG]
      • By the way the numbers on the watch are a script style form called "Breguet" so in this case they are Breguet numbers.

[​IMG]

2. mac_omega Mar 31, 2015

First thought which comes to mind: it may be magnetized...

Let it be de-magnetized by a watch maker - this job is done in one minute and will not cost you an arm or a leg - often this helps as a first aid.

If this does not help you can always let it be serviced afterwards...

3. Nostalgia Mar 31, 2015

When was the watch last serviced?

4. pitpro Likes the game. Mar 31, 2015

The Breguet numbers were used in U.S. market Seamasters
    I believe.

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 31, 2015

Typically one would expect a magnetized watch to run fast not slow.

Try hand winding it. Winders don't often agree bumper winds.

Really no point to keeping a time only on a winder. Just wind it by hand when you put it on.

Lukeeesteve likes this.
  6. Mitka Mar 31, 2015

If you are lucky the watch only needs to be regulated. Most likely the watch needs a service. If the movement is dirty it will loose time. Like X350 XJR mentioned If the watch is magnetised it will gain not loose.
    See if you can get the watch serviced by a professional! All Archer on this forum is the best Omega guy around:cool:

7. Dan51 Mar 31, 2015

Thanks very much! I had it serviced in October, and was told the tip of the main spring had been *damaged*?...he replaced the spring as well as the service for about $170.

X350 XJR: 25 winds usually gives the watch about 18 hours, but something just seems wrong for me to let it wind down and stop if I don't happen to be wearing it for a day or 2. I thought the winder would help.

Thought wrong, I guess. I approach All Archer. Again, thanks.

8. Hijak Mar 31, 2015

Try winding it more like 50 times, this watch should run for much more than 18 hrs.

9. John R Smith Apr 1, 2015

* Your photographs show three completely different watches.

* Six minutes in 24 hours is a huge amount, and way outside the limits of regulation. There must be something grossly wrong for the watch to be that far out.

* Do not test for timekeeping with the watch on a winder.

10. Dan51 Apr 1, 2015

Mine is the 3 Black on Gold samples at the top. The bottom two were attached to my original post by members of this Forum in October as examples of the Breguet font I could not identify...they are great watches!

I'll stop the winder and go the recommended 50. I'll contact All Archer if I still have the problem.

Thanks, guys.