Forums Latest Members
  1. JTumino Jun 1, 2015

Hello,

I just purchased this watch as a birthday gift for my father who was born in the year it was made. I purchased from an established and reputable seller, but have questions regarding the watch. What can you tell me regarding the originality of the hands, the crown, the condition of the movement, or any other faults with this watch. Positive observations also welcome. Thank you! image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jun 1, 2015

Honestly this isn't a great example of a vintage 50s Seamaster - the dial has been redone, the crown has been replaced, case is in average condition and the movement probably needs a service and is a little rough. How much did you purchase it for?

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 1, 2015

Hello and welcome.

Crown is a replacement, hands are probably original, the dial has been incorrectly refinished, this reference is not a Seamaster.

Movement although not horrible is not in the best condition.

I would return it if you can.

Giff2577 likes this.
  4. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 1, 2015

Hi JT, Welcome to the forum!

We pride ourselves on honest, straightforward answers that sometimes may prove disheartening.

As a '51 model myself, I have followed these and agree totally with the above statements.

I value this watch at a couple of hundred $ max and sincerely hope that you can recover your money, scrape together about $500 total, and let us help you find a quality piece that will work well, look great and appreciate in value.

Sorry if we bear bad news.

MtV, Bartok24, TNTwatch and 1 other person like this.
  5. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jun 1, 2015

From the Omega Vintage Watches database, per the "2597" stamped inside the case back. A few more bits of information to aid in your detective work.

vintage.jpg

6. JTumino Jun 2, 2015

Thank you everyone for the responses and helpful information. I paid $340 and the seller refunded me, although stating that the watch is 100% original. Is it even a Seamaster or was that just printed on the dial when it was refinished?

I'd still like to purchase a 1951 Omega in the range of 300-500 if one should pop up. My father currently wears a modern Seamaster he purchased upon his retirement and I feel a 1951 would be a good gift.

7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 2, 2015

Seamaster was incorrectly added to the dial when it was refinished. This reference is NOT a Seamaster.

Glad you got your money back.

8. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jun 2, 2015

@jtomino, take a look through the Watches For Sale and Private Watches For Sale forums, and keep an eye there. The sales forums here are pretty safe. Scammers don't last long here. You may find what you're looking for there. Also, if you find a piece online or in a shop, post pics here and ask for feedback before buying. You'll be glad you did.

Welcome to the forum! Good luck in your search - sounds like a great gift!

9. Bartok24 Nov 25, 2020

A bit late to the conversation, nevertheless I just wanted to applaud your humanity.

UncleBuck likes this.
  10. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Nov 25, 2020

I'll say!
    Anyhow, welcome to the forum.
    I'd ask you some questions but I'm not sure where I'll be in 5+ years.

rbob99 and MtV like this.
  11. MtV Nov 26, 2020

Those prices make me slightly melancholic.