Forums Latest Members
  1. OmegaAm Nov 25, 2018

Hi all,

After much looking around I finally decided to jump into the classic wristwatch world. I picked up the watch below and wanted to get a little more insight into it.

While the movement (420) matches the case number the watch face says "seamaster". When I look at the database it seems as though the 2667 was a generic watch and not part of the seamaster collection. The face itself is gorgeous, the lume looks original but if you notice at the 6 position I believe the original indicator got replaced as it is currently covering the word "swiss". This part kind of confuses me because if it is such a well done redial why would they add "swiss" only to cover it up?

Just looking for overall opinions on the watch and what you think the story is. I love the look of the watch but the more I look at it the more I want to know the story.

What is happening with this face? Is it just redone but the "seamaster" was added? Is it from a different watch? Do I simply have the wrong caseback? If it is a redial why go through the hassle of adding "swiss" only to cover it up?

IMG_0524.jpg IMG_0523.jpg IMG_0522.jpg

CaptainWinsor and Spruce like this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 26, 2018

This is the second "spirograph" dial recently. I can't remember if the other one was a Seamaster or not.

In my opinion, this dial has been stripped to the base metal and simply re-inked (leaving the bare metal) and then the markers replaced. The obvious tell is the centering of the Omega text and the general positioning of indices and Swiss etc.

3. Caliber561 Nov 26, 2018

Also, the lume on the indices seems oddly fresh for a 50s watch.

Willem023 likes this.
  4. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 26, 2018

But none on the hands? If lume was used Omega always put it on both. That is a redial. Far too clean to be original. Nice looking watch but not remotely original.

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 26, 2018

6. Sherbie Nov 26, 2018

My first entry was also a cal 420, but unfortunately with a bad black redial

Mine was a small watch at 32 mm, but serial dated it to 1969 - seems like Omega had quite a few of these older movements to get rid off in later years, and this was simply sold as “ international collection” and not branded Seamaster

It had the same nice lugs though

Your dial is much prettier, so all in all, not a bad first choice for your NooB tax

Enjoy

7. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 26, 2018

While I am in total agreement that it isn’t original, I am not sure I fully agree with your logic there. The database is very sketchy, not every variant is listed and many Omega case refs were branded in multiple ways. The original 30m water resistance doesn’t preclude Omega branding some of these 2667s as Seamasters. Had it been dust proof only, I would have fully agreed that they probably weren’t. I haven’t seen one like this but I wouldn’t personally use absence from the database as compelling evidence of absence of originality.

Edited Nov 26, 2018
  8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 26, 2018

My experience with the database differs from yours.

Many early Seamasters were branded as such in Omegas internal records but the name was not necessarily printed on the dials. From a 1950 catalog.

FC459346-9AB4-4198-AA06-11C67E27A24A.jpeg

I have not found the reverse to be true. There are still many, many references for which there is no information or missing pictures on Omega’s database. This is not one of them.

I would love to be wrong here, and would welcome an example of a pre-1955 Seamaster for which the designation is not shown as such in the database.

Also, I’m reasonably sure that there were no manual wind models designated as “Seamaster” at the time this watch was produced. Those came a bit later in the mid 1950’s.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

9. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 26, 2018

I was aware of the lack of early branding. I had a 2577 which looked exactly like Ref 549 above, only a lot more lived in! Your point I quote above I do find persuasive, I just don't like to place that much faith in the database as there are many omissions. Often for instance they will reference one case material when several were available which can be misleading unless you are intimately familiar with the case metal codes.

Archer likes this.
  10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 26, 2018

Omega used to have an “additional information” section where they listed other case metals and original Swiss pricing information.

Unfortunately, they deleted that several years ago.
    gatorcpa

P.S. I have no clue about the model reference system in the ad I posted above. Although I think this catalog was Swiss, they do not match Omega’s database.

padders likes this.
  11. OmegaAm Nov 26, 2018

1954 is when the database is showing seamasters with the 420 movement.

So is this dial more likely to be:

From an actual seamaster just moved to a new case

Or

The original dial for this watch with “seamaster” added

Is there any way to tell this? I haven’t seen a dial like this before so I’m not too sure.

12. Biezmez Nov 26, 2018

I would expect that the redial requires that the indices are first removed, the repainting done and then the indices reattached. Shame they didn’t check how far the indices would come down and reapplied the Swiss Made accordingly. It should be able to confirm this by looking at the back of the dial to see that the indices have been reapplied.
    Regards
    Chris

OmegaAm likes this.
  13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 26, 2018

Biezmez and cristos71 like this.
  14. OmegaAm Nov 26, 2018

Perfect so the dial may be the one for the case just with "seamaster" added for some reason

15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 26, 2018

Quite possible. More research would be required.
    gatorcpa

Biezmez likes this.