Forums Latest Members
  1. jacobs Mar 25, 2024

Hello omega fans,
    My name is Jacob. I'm new to collecting omegas but I understand this forum has a ton of knowledgeable people in it! Nice to meet you all! I made my first vintage omega purchase (Pics attached). Serial number is 14827118 which dates it somewhere around 1954. Does everything look to be in order as far as the dial? At first, I wasn't aware of all the intricacies to consider when buying a vintage omega (but I am now lol). I'm looking for information about originality mostly. I'm hoping I didn't buy a frankenwatch. I'm not experienced on this topic, and would really appreciate any help. Thank you

INFO FROM DESCRIPTION:
    Case: 14K Gold Bezel with Gold capped lugs and stainless steel body - snap down full size case, in good condition, few minor nicks commensurate with age - measures approx 42.15mm lug to lug and 35mm across not including the Omega signed crown - Inside Caseback bears the Omega Watch Co. triangle and name - Acier Inoxydable Fab. Suisse Swiss Made Patent + Applied - 2852 4 SC - Also bears the triangular mark for Centrale Boîtes S.A., Bienne - Case makers to Omega - Outer case carries the Iconic gold Observatory Medallion
    Dial: black hobnail dial - Bears the raised gold OMEGA logo + name - Automatic Chronometer Officially Certified beneath the '12' - Constellation with applied Gold Star above the 6 - Substantial raised & bevelled applied gold markers in first rate order - Gold seconds chapter to inner perimeter - Swiss Made to bottom

MOVEMENT: Omega Automatic, calibre 501 - Adjusted Five (5) Positions and Temperatures - Serial number 14827118. Signed Omega Watch Co Swiss - Twenty-Four 24 jewels - 501

s-l967.jpg s-l966.jpg s-l965.jpg s-l964.jpg s-l963.jpg s-l962.jpg s-l1601.jpg s-l960.jpg s-l1600.jpg
    Edited Mar 25, 2024
  2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Mar 25, 2024

Not a good one I'm afraid - dial has been refinished, case is overpolished and movement shows its age. As a rule of thumb 95% and up of black dial constellations from this era that appear this clean are refinished.

qazwsx1, MtV and X350 XJR like this.
  3. jacobs Mar 25, 2024

Aside from the restoration, do you believe the parts to be genuine? This question is concerning everything altogether, Including the movement. The strap is a replacement.

4. Davidt Mar 25, 2024

That’s like saying, aside from the huge issue which massively impact the value and collectability of the watch, is everything else ok?
    Everything appears genuine, but the redial is a huge issue. If you’re not too bothered by that and are looking for a reason to keep it, bear in mind;
    1. No one repaints a dial in good condition, so why was this one repainted. Looking at the overall condition it was likely used hard for much of its life and/or had water ingress. This stained the original dial, caused the wear to the movement and required significant polishing to the case to rectify.
    2. It has a huge impact on resale value.

At this stage most new collectors say “understood, but I’ve fallen in love with it so I’m happy”. Some stay that way. Many come back in a few months to say “knowing what I know now, I wished I’d returned it and been a bit more patient so wait for a good one”. If you decide to keep it, make sure you’re not likely to fall into camp 2

DaveK, Syrte, X350 XJR and 1 other person like this.
  5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 25, 2024

It's a bit like taking a rusty old car slapping some Bondo on the dents and painting it to look shiny, still a shitty old car underneath.

6. jacobs Mar 25, 2024

Hi Davidt, I totally understand where you're coming from and thank you for taking the time to write that. You are right, I did really love the dial. All the points you've made trump the dials beauty.

7. jacobs Mar 25, 2024

Thanks for the input. That's a funny, but truthful way to put it lol.

W@tch K8ty likes this.
  8. Bruce235 Mar 25, 2024

One more detail, in 1954 chronometre would be spelled "re" so it's a tipoff.
    The watch does look nice. I hope you didn't have to pay the "collector original" price.
    The best plan is to vet a watch with us before you buy, but most of us get that order wrong the first time out. It's the noob tax. I paid it myself.

padders and noelekal like this.
  9. Dan S Mar 25, 2024

Can you return it?

10. qazwsx1 Mar 26, 2024

For the early 2852, the correct movement can be caliber 501. However, it should have 19 jewels, not the 24 jewels (as used in caliber 505).

cal 501.jpg

11. gbesq Mar 26, 2024

Looking at the sales listing shown above, it doesn't appear that the seller disclosed that the dial is refinished. That should give you sufficient grounds to return the watch for a refund. If the seller balks about letting you return the watch and receiving a refund, consider filing a complaint with the sales platform where you purchased the watch.

12. speedb Mar 26, 2024

best of luck in making the return Jacob

13. lawler Mar 26, 2024

Yes I would also return this. It’s a nice looking watch but the insides are questionable at best.

There are a lot of good, original examples out there that are worth the hunt.

14. jacobs Mar 26, 2024

Thank you for your input :)

15. jacobs Mar 26, 2024

Thank you :)

16. jacobs Mar 26, 2024

Agreed, and it was on eBay so it shouldn't be a problem. Lots of supporting evidence. Thanks for the guidance

17. jacobs Mar 26, 2024

should be able to. thanks for looking out!

18. jacobs Mar 26, 2024

Thanks for this! I was not aware. Picture is going to be great for future reference

19. jacobs Mar 26, 2024

Thank you so much for the info!

20. Dal Cais Mar 26, 2024

Unless I am mistaken the seller clearly states the dial has been " restored". Remember seeing the watch recently as the seller has two clearly restored black shinny dials for sale and the bidding went crazy.

The Description above from the OP has been edited from the original description.

DIAL: Stunning, beautifully restored black hobnail dial - Bears the raised gold OMEGA logo + name - Automatic Chronometer Officially Certified beneath the '12' - Constellation with applied Gold Star above the 6 - Substantial raised & bevelled applied gold markers in first rate order - Gold seconds chapter to inner perimeter - Swiss Made to bottom - The hour, minute and centre seconds hands also in very good order - Please see photos

Edited Mar 26, 2024