Forums Latest Members

1950s B&M rose gold chronograph

1. andi4eyes Jan 18, 2016

Well, a few years ago I couldn't imagine owning a gold watch. That's for old people, right?

Then I found this, at 38mm oversized, Baume & Mercier chronograph from the 1950s (probably) in rose gold and I was sold. The watch wears great and is in amazing condition, only the (gold plated) side of the crown shows some wear.
    The color is much more a rose gold than the pink gold of modern watches.

The watch is powered by a hand wound Landeron movement (48, probably).

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking :)

noelekal, Paedipod, Vitezi and 6 others like this.
  2. Garv no longer a member of the terminally hip Jan 18, 2016

Nice looking!

3. Private_Doberman Jan 18, 2016

What a stunning looking watch! Great dial design.

4. B.Frost Jan 18, 2016

Very nice, congrats!

5. smm1208 Jan 18, 2016

beautiful!!

6. andi4eyes Jan 25, 2016

Thanks guys.
    I really like the looks.
    Now this watch is one of those cheaply produced gold watches from the 50s that are made of very little gold. The dust cover under the snap back is needed for the structural integrity of the case.
    As the bezel is snapped on and there is very little material, it doesn't snap in place very securely (anymore?). There is no dust or dirt that would prevent the bezel to fall in the correct place, so I guess I have to find a different way to securely wear this watch (I "lost" the bezel including the crystal twice this week-end while taking my jacket off)

Do you know of any method to secure the bezel on those case constructions?

Thanks for any input.
    Andi

7. vinn2 Jan 25, 2016

a good jeweler can close that bezel up a bit.

8. obayesshelton Jan 25, 2016

stunning!!

9. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Jan 26, 2016

beautiful

10. donegd Apr 16, 2017

I have always liked the B&Ms they have constantly made quality watches in understated designs I have 4 of them see pics Ive added. I also own 4 very nice omega´s to.

DSCN1842 (4).JPG formula.jpg 1.jpg DSCN1844 (2).JPG
    Larry S likes this.
  11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 16, 2017

You are going to need to go to a watchmaker that does restoration work. Well worth investing in IMO. It's a beautiful watch. Won't be cheap.

12. François Pépin Apr 18, 2017

Nice watch!

I have used successfully various technics to get a bezel hold on a watch. But I do not advice you use them unless you are sure you know what you are doing.

i) Simplest try: remove the glass and gently press the bezel between two flat stuffs.

ii) check that the bezel is concentric, and correct that if necessary with two champagne corks, the bezel still being flat on a table. (It is "better" to use real good champagne corks and not to drink the two bottles just before working on the bezel!)

iii) sometimes, you can introduce on purpose some non concentric shape in order to have - at least - two points that hold the bazel, but that is not the best way...

iv) with some not too sharp device, you can gently dig a little bit the ring on the case that supports the bazel. Do that very carefully.

v) you can add a little bit of nail varnish on the part of the case that supports the bazel. Not the best way but very effective! Of course you shall wait the varnish is dry before putting back the bezel.

noelekal and Delroyb like this.
  13. Alruts Apr 20, 2017

The dial looks identical to mine, this was sold new in March 1948, but is probably a year or two older.

Baume & Mercier4.jpg

noelekal likes this.