Forums Latest Members

1950's-1960's Vintage Omega Seamaster Info

1. beerays May 14, 2014

Hello everybody,

I joined this forum in the hopes of gaining some info on an old seamaster I inherited through my grandfather.

I was wondering if anybody knew the year it was made in or how much it could be sold for (although I do not intend on selling it). I could not find anything online which looks exactly like it. All other seamasters seem to have the word "seamaster" written on the watch face, but this one does not have it.

Sorry for the horrible picture quality.

picture001.jpg picture002.jpg
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 14, 2014

There is no way we can say anything about this watch from the long distance pictures provided. This looks to me like a genuine Omega, probably from the early 1960's, from the style of the case and hands. There should be a case reference number engraved on the inside of the case. You'll need to take it to a watchmaker with the proper tools to open the back without damaging it. You should also record the caliber (model) number of the movement and serial number.

Armed with this information, go to the Omega Vintage Database:

http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database

Enter the case reference number in the box and see what happens. You may need to enter an extra zero just to the right of the decimal. For example, Ref. 168.005 should be entered as "168.0005".

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

3. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy May 14, 2014

Evan,
    I was guessing a few years earlier with the sub-seconds, what gave it away as a '60's? The hippo?

beerays,
    With it being Grandpa's, follow Evan's advice but don't do anything !!!!!, post the watchmakers info here and then wait for senior members, such as Evan (gatorcpa) to counsel you. You will end up with a fabulous, collectable piece with appreciating value that you will be able to pass on to your Grandson with an even better story !!

4. pitpro Likes the game. May 14, 2014

I guess Grandpa thought you were pretty special.
    Treasure it. He probably remembered you futzing with
    it or asking about it. It's priceless
    Do as gatorcpa says if you want to know more.
    There are Seamasters not marked as such on
    the dial. The case looks like 14389 to me.