Forums Latest Members

1948 Vintage Tissot: 6424-1F —> thoughts pls

1. Jr86 Jul 26, 2020

Hi everyone, 2 days ago, I bought my first vintage watch: a golden Tissot from 1948.

The seller got it from a bulk purchase of vintage watches. i know that the Watch needs some care, like cleaning and oil the movement.

Ive been searching in google, for 40s tissot with the same dial, and I can’t find it.. I found similar ones, but not the same.. as well as the hour hand does not seem to belong to this watch..

I’m not sure if I’m getting crazy by double checking everything, instead of just enjoying the watch..

can someone share your thoughts as tissot experts.. Did I do a good purchase? Is it a frankanwatch? Do you see anything strange or weird with it ?

Many thanks

44658E64-91CB-4E41-B043-C237BB89CF5A.jpeg BB8331C7-874F-4CE2-A272-A9D87CD328A6.jpeg 4B377B70-E243-4DD0-A48B-46E0F18B1C47.jpeg 32E2DFA7-6445-44C5-B2FF-9EB4BB055C5E.jpeg
    Sam11, allwoundup and janice&fred like this.
  2. JwRosenthal Jul 26, 2020

Dial is original IMO, no need to sweat that. There were lots of variations. You are correct about the hands, should both be leaf hands- but it doesn’t look bad with that hour hand- just not correct. If we were talking about a flawless example I would say get the hand sorted. But this watch isn’t going to win any clean-car concourses so just enjoy it for what it is- a well worn, lovely looking vintage watch that has seen some mileage.

Jr86 and allwoundup like this.
  3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 26, 2020

It is exactly what you said it is. A Tissot watch with a replaced hour hand.

Looks original to me, but for that hand.

A worthy project. Hopefully you didn’t pay too much for it. If successful, you will have a very nice watch.

Who knows, you might be able to find the correct hour hand along the way.

Good luck with the restoration.
    gatorcpa

Sam11, Jr86, allwoundup and 2 others like this.
  4. amcclell Jul 26, 2020

I agree with JwR and Gatorcpa. There is something to be said for an old piece that has been used and abused but still ticking. If you take it to an independent watchmaker who has lots of old parts and movements, they may have an old gold-plated leaf hand that fits. In the meantime, enjoy. I really like the gold leaf numerals on the dial.

Jr86 likes this.
  5. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jul 26, 2020

I bet you can’t stop at just one ;). Feel encouraged to reach out in advance of your next purchase, and read the sticky threads here https://omegaforums.net/forums/vintage-omega-watches-help-discussion-and-advice.23/ esp learn how to fish and condition condition..

Do you have a watchmaker yet? Let us know what town you are in and someone might have a recommendation. Tip: the battery change kiosk in the mall is not where you will find a watchmaker

Jr86 and JwRosenthal like this.
  6. Kulee-Baba Jul 26, 2020

Found this Tissot from 1948 was sold at Ranfft
    bid-fun, you see a different hand no problem enjoy the watch as it is a service will be needed
    though !

C48D6F41-559D-471B-8072-9FF1B8D1B6E4.jpeg
    Jr86 likes this.
  7. Vitezi Jul 26, 2020

DaveK, Sam11, Jr86 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Jr86 Jul 26, 2020

Thank you all for your replies.

@JwRosenthal I think I will follow your advise, and fix what I can now and if I can find that “missing” hand I will invest on it

@gatorcpa, yes it will be my first project: so far I spent 46 euros on the watch. Now: I need to find a watchmaker for cleaning and oil (hopefully nothing else is needed to have the watch at 100%), then a 15mm strap, and later/meanwhile fix the missing hand. I’m not planning on selling it, however I’m just not sure how much it will cost me all of this VS how much the watch is worth.. ??? I guess it’s the “ride” the fun part.. :)

@amcclell def. will follow your advise , I will try to find a watchmaker with NOS parts. I was looking at EBAY and another similar Spanish webpages, and I couldn't find any tissot hands.

@DaveK thanks for sharing the link - I will have a look. I don’t have a watchmaker, I was trying to find one through google. I live in Spain, in Toledo city.

@Vitezi very nice thread, no idea Of the variety of vintage Tissots - thanks for sharing

9. JwRosenthal Jul 26, 2020

As for “value”, what you paid is about what it's worth- the correct hands and a service won’t change that much. Watches like these we fix and wear because we are attracted to them- it’s an investment in our pleasure, not the watch.
    Most watchmakers won’t have NOS parts for these watches, perhaps some random parts but never the ones we need. Many have a network of other watchmakers they know or are web savvy and can hunt down the parts (or a donor watch)- it just may take some time.
    Project watches can be a joy, but also a heartache- I have a few for which I had high hopes and am still awaiting the parts to make them whole- one I waited almost 20 years and finally thanks to a member here was able to get it going again- it was well worth the wait.