Forums Latest Members

1948 Seamaster Small Seconds - Advice

1. nickbruin Jul 29, 2019

Have wanted an Omega since childhood. Unfortunately, the price was always prohibitive. I started a lower end watch collection in college, and 15 years later I signed my first big job offer. As such, I decided it was time for my first Omega. Fortuitously, the Limited Edition 1948 Seamaster was announced around that time. After a lot of searching, I was able to put a deposit down at an OB 390 miles away. Then came the months and months of waiting, until I got the call last week that it had arrived. I drove down this weekend to pick up the timepiece, and maybe I'm crazy, but I came home with a De Ville Prestige Co-Axial Power Reserve as well.

As these are my first luxury timepieces I would love any advice on how to maintain and care for them in the best way. Excited to join the word of Omega owners.

image6.jpeg

IMG_2868.JPG
    IMG_2874.JPG

image2.jpeg image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg image5.jpeg

Omega-Q, shutterlife, Bp1000 and 8 others like this.
  2. AntonisCy Jul 30, 2019

Love the De Ville

3. nickbruin Jul 30, 2019

Thanks! I was eyeing it before, however, when I saw it in person I couldn't resist.

AntonisCy likes this.
  4. jimmyd13 Jul 30, 2019

that's one of the nicest De Villes I've seen - a true future classic.

As for care, treat them like any other machine: use them, enjoy them, service them regularly. Try not to drop an anvil on them.

5. Bp1000 Jul 30, 2019

Let them pick up knocks scrapes scratches and dents and learn to be ok with that.

You’ll remember this occasion for the 15 year wait.

In the years to come you will look at the use on the watch and remember the glamorous and usually not so glamorous occasions that produced that wear and tear.

A watch can tell a story, beyond the initial purchase and that’s what I like.

I like to monitor its time keeping a couple of times a year. Make sure it’s consistent in what it gains or looses. In between that, a bit of soap and water to keep the metal free of dirt.

Just enjoy.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  6. nickbruin Jul 30, 2019

Thanks! I agree completely with the use it and love it approach. Definitely avoiding anvils.

7. nickbruin Jul 30, 2019

Love this philosophy - "A watch can tell a story, beyond the initial purchase and that’s what I like. "

Bp1000 likes this.
  8. watch72 Sep 24, 2019

The other thing you should be careful about is not to put the De Ville watch in the LE 1948 watch case.
    Or else you will find the De Ville going fast as it gets magnetised by the 1948 watch case :)

9. Canuck Sep 24, 2019

Huh?

10. nickbruin Sep 24, 2019

Thanks!

11. ioaniro Sep 24, 2019

I love that De ville except for the roman numerals. Is the model I've been eyeing too but for some reason at the moment I'm not into roman numerals, I know I'll change my mind later .

About the advice, I think the only thing I can say is prepare yourself for the first scratch. It will come eventually and is the one that hurts the most.