Forums Latest Members
  1. dall-houston Nov 3, 2017

I've been trying to make sense of which dial markers were used on which years of vintage Seamasters. So far I have not been successful. I have found many examples of unrestored Seamasters that appear identical (same case number & movement), but they have different hour markers.

Is there any rhyme or reason as to which markers were used on these watches?

Is there at least a date when certain markers were introduced?

Any and all information will be appreciated. (And yes, I did search this forum, other Omega forums and the Google prior to creating this thread.)

Dall

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Nov 3, 2017

Photos of what you're talking about?

3. TropicConnie Nov 3, 2017

It's open slather with vintage Omega Seamasters. You think you've seen everything and then this comes out of the water. I'll admit, I've contemplated selling my tropic Constellation to raise funds for it more than once.

[​IMG]

dall-houston likes this.
  4. dall-houston Nov 3, 2017

Wow, I've not seen markers like this. That is very unique looking.

Thank you for replying.

5. ConElPueblo Nov 4, 2017

they've appeared more than a single time, so not unique, no.

TropicConnie likes this.
  6. Edward53 Nov 4, 2017

My little collection of Seamasters have plain stick markers except for a 354 Seamaster chronometer c. 1955, which has faceted markers with a point at both ends and a central peak (a lot nicer in real life than in this photo); and a 552 Seamaster c. 1965, which has onyx-inlaid markers.

IMG_3809.JPG IMG_4212.JPG

Giff2577 and McKinley like this.
  7. ChrisN Nov 4, 2017

I like that and they are unusual watches. I used to have a 354 Jumbo Chronometer but sadly sold. The furniture is a bit like these coffin markers on my late '50s cal 501. It also has 'pearls' for the minute markers.
    cal 501.jpg
    Virtually anything goes with the '50s in particular. That's a good thing:thumbsup:

Cheers, Chris

Giff2577 and McKinley like this.
  8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 4, 2017

No.

Just like car stylists these days, designers of dials in the late 1940s, 1950s and 60s looked to contemporary trends and came up with whatever they thought would appeal to buyer.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  9. ConElPueblo Nov 4, 2017

There is something that points to markers being chosen in batches, but not in sub-references. I had a chronometre just like the one @ChrisN mentions above and even found a third example - all three were within 9 (!) numbers of each other and shared the same type of markers. Interestingly, there were two different dial variants!

ChrisN likes this.
  10. ChrisN Nov 4, 2017

And all delivered to Spain, we think;). They did just seem to make a batch and send them out and I doubt they kept up to date catalogues.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  11. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Nov 4, 2017

I'm obviously not too bright.

ChrisN likes this.