Forums Latest Members

SOLD 1946 LeCoultre Cal 476 Bumper Automatic

1. jshaw083 Jul 12, 2020

Price - 1500 USD, price is firm.

Hi all,

I’m looking to acquire a Heuer Camaro, and so to raise funds I’m having to part with a few in my collection. This has been a favorite of mine for some time, but it’s not getting nearly as much wrist time these days and so it’s probably better served in someone else’s collection. I am more so a watch wearer rather than a collector, so if something isn’t getting wrist time, I rotate it out.

Case: Sharp lugs (as sharp as they come). Case still has its brushings along the sides. There’s a series of small scratches on the top left lug. Not noticeable with regular use. A few nicks on the caseback, likely from attempts at trying to open the case. Case diameter is 33.5 mm, lug width 16 mm. It’s on the smaller end, but it’s got big wrist presence. Serial is clearly visible on caseback. I can’t guarantee it’s from 1946 since JLC doesn’t publish serial number catalogs to date their watches to my knowledge, but that’s what the seller told me and that’s around the time this model was made.

Dial: I think you’ll agree it’s beautiful. Two toned vintage dial. There’s microscopic patination best seen on macro shots, even across the dial. Arabic hour markers are all in great condition. The “LeCoultre” logo is without wear. There are some small scratches around 9' o'clock, only visible at certain angles.

Hands: Original, true-blued hands with intact lume, no lume loss. There is a bit of corrosion on the seconds hand near the pinion. However, I have an OEM original replacement blued seconds hand that I will include with the watch. I haven’t swapped it out yet because it doesn’t really bother me, and I like the originality of the watch.

Crystal: Domed, I believe original to the watch.

Crown: As far as I know and can tell from similar models, original to the watch. Very satisfying to wind (teeth on the gears feel nice and “chunky”).

Movement: Cal 476, JLC’s first automatic movement, also frequently referred to as the Cal12A. The movement is really something (hopefully you’ll agree from the pictures below). Côtes de Genève finishing on the movement. You feel a satisfying clunk from the bumper. It was serviced in Fall of 2018 in Ottawa. It’s keeping good vintage time, probably the best among all my vintage watches despite being the oldest.

I deleted this ad once because I changed my mind halfway through re: sale because I love this watch. But I am resolute to keep my collection at 8 watches and the funds will be used for the Camaro I’m eyeing. I am in no rush. Price is fixed at 1500 USD. I will include a 16 mm genuine alligator strap from Veblenist (170 USD, bought new a few months ago, barely worn, pictured in last picture, matte Spanish brown), the OEM seconds hand and the service receipt.

Watch is located in Canada.
    International shipping at buyer’s expense. I declare full value for customs.

Cheers guys. Thank you OF for the space,
    -J.

IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0576-2.jpg
    IMG_0127-2.jpg
    IMG_0307.jpg
    IMG_0399-2.jpg
    IMG_0163.jpg
    IMG_0714-Edit-2.jpg
    InkedInkedIMG_0406_LI.jpg
    Capture.PNG
    Capture1.PNG

Edited Jul 13, 2020
    llvhhui, Shan, thelinendial and 31 others like this.
  2. shishy www.hpmor.com Jul 13, 2020

Nice one!

jshaw083 and adrian scott like this.
  3. OllieOnTheRocks Jul 13, 2020

This is a beautiful watch.

jshaw083 likes this.
  4. jshaw083 Jul 15, 2020

Few nibbles. Available.

5. jshaw083 Jul 16, 2020

OHPF.

SteveP and chadpowe11 like this.
  6. airansun In the shuffling madness Jul 16, 2020

Thank goodness. It’s a beautiful piece!

7. amcclell Jul 16, 2020

Congrats to the buyer. I was seriously tempted, as I am on the hunt for a bumper movement but I need to sell a couple first.

Dgercp likes this.