Forums Latest Members

1944 Omega restoration? (yes its a "grandad's watch")

1. jplumlee Feb 20, 2019

Hey folks. I have this approx 1944 Omega that I'm trying to get some information on and was hoping the knowledgeable people here can steer me straight.

Before my Grandad passed away a couple of months ago, he had given me literally a shoe box full of watches he had worn over the years. Along with some junk watches he had a few nice ones. A couple of old Elgin, Mido, etc, and this old Omega.

It looks like its been through hell and back but I'd still like to get it running. From the serial number it dates to approx 1944 (he was 92 when he passed). When I found it i asked him about it and apparently he bought it from a pawn shop in El Paso, Tx in the late 40's. anyhoo. I know it's not a "valuable" watch by vintage standards, but I'd still like to get it cleaned up and running. So if anyone can enlighten me on the model number (I think the movement is a 30T2) And any suggestions on who could get it running (with access to the parts)

should I even bother with it?

thanks for your help.

Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 11.41.43 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 11.19.49 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 11.22.22 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 11.20.41 AM.jpg
  2. cristos71 Feb 20, 2019

Honestly, with a watch in that kind of cosmetic condition I would never sink money into it unless it had a very high emotional attachment as it has zero chance of ever being a show stopper great and will certainly never have a great appearance.

From the sounds of things your Grandfather had accumulated quite a few watches over the years, so maybe sell them all except whichever one is in the best overall condition.

VintageWatchIta likes this.
  3. jplumlee Feb 20, 2019

Yeah I was afraid of that, especially with one that's not considered very "valuable" to begin with. However, this is the one that I'd most likely wear so I'm still interested in at least discussing the cost with someone. I understand that it would never look mint or even "pretty good" but it does have sentimental value to me.

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 20, 2019

A service and a new crystal shouldn't be more than a couple hundred dollars and would be worth it for the sentimental attachment. Do NOT have the case polished or the dial "cleaned" or refinished.

Do you have a photo of the inside of the case back?

5. jplumlee Feb 20, 2019

Well I didn't before you asked. And what do you know... right there on the case back is the model number looks like 2317/3 . Thanks for the question!

Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 12.48.02 PM.jpg
  6. Boony Feb 21, 2019

yeah just a new crystal and it will be quite cool. i personally like the patina on the dial.

7. WYO_Watch Feb 21, 2019

@X350 XJR gave you great advice +1 for following it :thumbsup:

Since it was a gift to you, even after a service you will be sitting pretty. Some people pay thousands in noob taxes with pieces that have no sentimental attachments. I think it’s a great piece!

I wish my grandpa would have left me an Omega! I have a very nice gold chain with an arrowhead that he gave me as a kid. It was given to him from his mother when she found it gardening in northern MN.

After he died my Grandma gave me a junky old pocket watch he bought from someone down on their luck (my grandpa was a very generous man) and a non-functioning Sandoz which must have been tiny on his 8.5+ inch wrists, but alas, no Omegas.

noelekal likes this.
  8. Biezmez Feb 21, 2019

IMHO. definitely worth the cost of the service and the glass. You won’t regret it.

9. DON Feb 22, 2019

Redial, light case polish, new crystal and a cleaning and you'll have a nice looking watch

I bought one in similar condition and did a full restore. Original hands were damaged, so I replaced with a pair of vintage blued pocket watch hands.

Refinished in Satin Old Silver. A pearlescent paint with a light sepia tinge

Poor image as I did this many years ago and used a crappy digital camera and can't see the nice bluing of the hands.

Ebay image

[​IMG]

Restored image

[​IMG]

DON

bubba48, Mouse_at_Large and noelekal like this.
  10. VintageWatchIta Feb 22, 2019

I agree, it will be a nice timepiece with a new crystal, and the affective value is not countable. The dial is very nice with this patina, honestly I think that it has its charme in this condition ;)

11. TedG954 Feb 22, 2019

If it were mine, and had belonged to my grandfather, I would by all means have it restored. It's an heirloom deserving of a new life through your family.