Forums Latest Members

SOLD 1940s Vulcain for the patina and Art Deco lovers!

1. rkman11 May 29, 2019

As I've made it well known here on the forum, I loves me some unique aging/patina! That is what initially attracted me to this 1940s Vulcain, the dial looks like marble. But once I received the watch, what really made me fall in love was the blue steel hands and the sexiest damn lugs I've ever seen!

Vulcain 1.jpg

I mean, look at those curves! I've received more compliments on this watch walking around my office than I have on many other "higher-end" pieces. It just makes a statement.

I now I play around with some macro shots:

Vulcain 2.jpg

Vulcain 3.JPG

Vulcain 4.JPG

Vulcain 5.JPG

MOVEMENT: I purchased the watch from the previous owner as "newly serviced." As we all know, that should always be taken with a grain of salt, so although I don't have proof of the service, and haven't had my watchmaker check out the movement, it winds, sets, and runs VERY nicely! All is smooth and keeps better time that my Rolex (YMMV).

STRAP: Being offered head only. As you can see, the lugs are fixed. The handful of times I wore it, I enjoyed the juxtaposition of pairing it with a perlon strap. Added to the unique look and was easy with the lugs.

Vulcain 6.JPG

DIAL: The dial is clearly insane! And as far as I know, all original. I think it's awesome and in person it really looks like marble. Very hard to see, but there appears to be some kind of clear gunk in a few spots (was not disclosed to me as the previous owner didn't notice, but then in natural light I did.) Hard to capture even in macro, but you can see it around "8" and "HR" also present in the very corner around "2". This could be easily removed, or might be part of the crazy aging of the dial - not sure. Again, not very noticeable but I always like to point out everything when I'm selling as that's what I want when I'm buying.

CASE: App. 34mm but wears larger due to the thin bezel and oversized lugs. Overall the solid steel case is in great shape. There is some scratches on the back, but as a whole the watch presents very well. And those sexy lugs are clearly the star of the show. I mean, scroll up and have another look!!!

PRICE/SHIPPING/RETURNS: Looking for just $250 US, which will include shipping anywhere in the States. Payment via PayPal Goods and Services only, and I'm happy to eat the fees. No returns unless misrepresented in any way.

Thanks for looking, and thanks to OF for the space!

Edited May 29, 2019
    bardamu, CaptainWinsor and Woops like this.
  2. rkman11 May 29, 2019

Well that was fast - OHPF! Glad to see so much love for this unique beauty, but I’ll be sad to see her go!

3. rkman11 May 29, 2019

And sold! Off to a new home in the OF family!

sdre likes this.
  4. bardamu May 30, 2019

That was fast! Congrats on seller and new owner, really a charming beauty.

rkman11 likes this.