Forums Latest Members
  1. Pistachio Feb 14, 2019

Hi all,

I'm both new to the forum and to the vintage watch game. I've been using this forum to get educated on the basics--not too long ago I thought "redial" was simply a button on a phone--and am curious what people think of this Universal Geneve. I came across this in a recent online auction but did not buy it. I love the style of UG's from the 1940s generally and the clean design/worn look of this watch.

I didn't pull the trigger on purchasing this but I'm still a total novice at knowing the pitfalls of a vintage watches. But as I look at it more, I'm not sure that I see anything that should have prevented me from purchasing it. What do you think? Does anything seem fake or notice any glaring issues?

2.jpg 5.jpg 9.jpg 13.jpg
  2. rolokr Feb 14, 2019

Looks like it could be original finish , given the look and wear ! If you can live with this look and the price is moderate you should purchase it.

Larry S likes this.
  3. hungdangnguyen23 Feb 14, 2019

Even though the patina is evenly distributed, I personally would wait for another example. The marks between 12, 1, 2 are a bit disruptive to me.

4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 14, 2019

Looks fully genuine.

5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 14, 2019

I just love these old three hand watches. The ones with nice even patina like this are pretty special. Grab it.

6. sjg22 Feb 14, 2019

I like it - 3-hander UGs are charming watches.

Would’ve depended on pricing for me - these don’t tend to command a big number...

7. Pistachio Feb 15, 2019

Thank you all for the responses, they are helpful. My original post could have been more clear that the auction ended with someone else claiming this watch. I should have posted this question before the auction ended! I will keep my eye out for the next one to appear and will keep reading this forum in the meantime.

8. Carlton-Browne Feb 15, 2019

These are not rare models - you will find one after not too long.

9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 15, 2019

True, but when you filter for condition, the population gets smaller.