Forums Latest Members
  1. ulycorn Mar 30, 2019

Hi all!

Came across this on etsy and it costs only about 80USD, so I decided to go with the buy-now-regret-later mentality. Photos below are from the seller. Serial number: 6107129 which puts it somewhere in the early-mid 40s I believe.
    il_570xN.1875735989_ednd.jpg il_570xN.1828268738_pl9e.jpg
    I'm waaaay more familiar with 50s-60s Longines as the conquests and flagships in those periods are some of my favourite watches. So could anyone help me spot out what may be right/wrong with this watch.

Currently what I've concluded is that the logo looks about right, and i doubt the indices have been worked on as they look applied. I've never seen those hands on a 40s Longines either and I'm certain the caseback is not original.

While I'm probably going to keep the watch regardless, would be nice to more about it!

Cheers,
    Ulycorn

2. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Mar 30, 2019

To properly assess this Longines, a photo of the movement, inside of the case-back, and better photo of the dial would be helpful. From these photos, the case does not appear correct for the quoted serial number. Additionally, the numerals on the dial do not appear to be applied but rather embossed.

ulycorn likes this.
  3. ulycorn Mar 30, 2019

Hey @DirtyDozen12,

Cheers for the reply. This was another photo from the seller. She didn't have any movement pics but I'll get my local watchmaker to open it up for me when it arrives and I'll post more here! Not looking too optimistic I'm guessing :/

il_570xN.1875735427_8lc9.jpg

4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 30, 2019

Agree with @DirtyDozen12 on the case not matching the age of the watch. Also the dial looks refinished, although I’ll concur with @DirtyDozen12 on his cautious step by step approach.

ulycorn likes this.
  5. Radiumpassion Mar 30, 2019

Case looks strange, are you sure it`s a Longines case? Here is a Sport Chief
    caseback from the 60`s

70D743D9-3CE5-4B23-A07B-FF0315815731.jpeg

ulycorn and Syrte like this.
  6. ulycorn Mar 30, 2019

@Radiumpassion yeap, as mentioned in the original post, I was quite certain the caseback wasn't original. Which I was quite okay with but I probably wouldn't be too happy if the whole case was a total mismatch. The seller allows returns so that helps.

One of those "2am hey let's look at some watches" moments that usually doesn't end too well.

@Syrte @DirtyDozen12 any leads on good literature I can read on to find out more about pre-50s Longines case references.

And again, thanks for all the feedback. As always this community always comes through and is ever-educating!