Forums Latest Members
  1. OllieOnTheRocks Nov 9, 2020

Hello guys,

You may see me around the omega specific areas of the site and Longines and this is generally where my passion in watch collecting began. With a little experience In a few other brands. My knowledge of JLC however is pretty much non-existent as I have never bought one before.

Tomorrow however I am due to receive my first! I believe it to be a 1940s example, and it appears to be in fair condition. Not perfect, not even very good, but fair and I enjoy the way it looks :)

s-l1600.jpg

The only other similar example I can find online is below, it shares a very similar dial, and what appears to be the same case, albeit in 18k Gold rather than steel. Looking at the case backs of both, neither have any reference numbers, only a serial on the reverse.
    799ffea6-74ef-4ecd-bf57-9bbe8fd157a9.jpg
    Found on the following link:
    https://www.catawiki.com/l/24345043...lugs-gold-18k-cal-428-2-ca-1944-men-1901-1949

I was wondering if anyone had any further information about these watches, if there are specific case or model references or any other news really about the watch. I'll add some better pictures tomorrow of the dial and movement as the seller didn't give the clearest of photos so it was a little bit of a gamble.

Interested to know what you think here :)

As always hope you are well and thank you for your input!

Ollie :)

Foo2rama, Mods, TexOmega and 2 others like this.
  2. janice&fred Nov 9, 2020

That style case was very popular with Lecoultre in the 40's nd 50's. Many were with triple dates and triple date moon phase complications as well. :thumbsup:

OllieOnTheRocks likes this.
  3. OllieOnTheRocks Nov 9, 2020

I had seen some tear drop lugs very similar on the moon phases but none exactly like these with this two tiered shape that I am struggling to define... I suppose it is as the advert above describes Art Deco in theme, but with a slightly more reserved and a refined approach.

4. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 9, 2020

The two step lugs are unusual. As Fred says, the case shape is common to the 40s & 50s.

As a guess, I'd say maybe these are early 40s as they are more rounded and deco style - JLC lugs tended to become straighter and more "modernist" towards the early 50s. But JLC had a lot of funky lugs in the 50s too, so you never know.

OllieOnTheRocks likes this.
  5. OllieOnTheRocks Nov 9, 2020

I'll receive it tomorrow so I'll see if I can date it with the serial number :)

6. OllieOnTheRocks Nov 13, 2020

Update

Unfortunately the listing had quite a significant error. 33mm excluding crown, should have in fact been 29mm excluding crown.

Sadly this one will be returned so the hunt for a JLC will continue!

Foo2rama likes this.
  7. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 14, 2020

shame - possibly it was a ladies watch & that might explain the two steps lugs too

good luck with the hunt !

Foo2rama likes this.