Forums Latest Members

SOLD 1940s Certo 'bullseye dial' (all stainless steel, manual caliber)

1. Mafkees Sep 25, 2021

Greetings!

In attempt to cut the amount of radium dials in my collection, this Certo - acquired by me a few months ago - will be the first to go.
    upload_2021-9-25_18-5-28.jpeg

upload_2021-9-25_19-1-11.jpeg

Watch specifics
    I included a 60fps HD vid below to show the watch off properly. Please take your time to load it, if required; I promise you it's worth the wait.

The case diameter (excluding crown) is 34mm and its lug width is 18mm. It is 8mm thick (including the domed crystal).

Most eye-catching to me is the double radium ring surrounding the piano lacquer outer bullseye, which makes for great contrast with the vertically brushed inner bullseye; I made sure to include a close-up of that in the vid. The outer bullseye has radium applied arabic numerals. The outer part of the dial (featuring the seconds track) is neutrally finished. The watch is all original, as far as I can tell, and the all stainless steel case doesn't appear to ever have been polished.

This Certo (apparently a Liengme trademark) may lack brand reputation but compensates for that with sheer quality. I would date it to mid 1940s based on appearance and that means it's remarkable to be all stainless steel, let alone to have screw back. The caseback was dinged up at some point, but I'd argue the front easily compensates for that. It also has a dustcover inside, but I will not open radium watches. There is some discoloration in the lume, but its appearance is otherwise outstanding.
    The same applies to its functionality. It was not serviced in my possession but the Liengme cal. 2646 (Ranfft: http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2usau&1120057204) runs +/- 1 minute a day and winds and sets smoothly, with certainly a 30+ hour reserve. Do note the hand set on the Ranfft watch, which is identical to that on mine (temperature blued hour and minute hands), as well as the background on its manufacturer produced and trademarked shock protection; a Liengme was no joke, back in the day.

Long story short: outstanding aesthetics, an all stainless steel case (with a scalloped screw back) and an in-house caliber. What's not to like?

Sales specifics
    This is my first watch sale on OF but I have bought a few on here. I managed to track two feedback links and included them below. Please note that I haven't always been as active on OF as I am today but that I can provide you with 25+ references from a Dutch watch forums, if desired; I use the same username there.
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/great-transaction-with-mafkees.85080/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/a-fine-experience-with-mafkees.133256/

My asking price for this what I believe to be a unique piece is EUR 355,00 head-only. A watch strap is not included.
    The watch is located in The Netherlands and I'd prefer a EU sale (which means GB is excluded). EU shipping is included in this price and I promise to ship bombproof (and waterproof, given the country of origin ;) ).
    upload_2021-9-25_19-18-23.jpeg

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Kind regards,
    Matt

Edited Sep 25, 2021
    kip595, ckhaing, Joe_A and 14 others like this.
  2. rhetoric Sep 25, 2021

That is really nice. You shouldn't have any trouble selling that!

3. sxl2004 Sep 26, 2021

Great watch. How do you know the lume contains radium?
    Best

4. Mafkees Sep 26, 2021

Thanks guys!
    I know it is radium because 1) a Geigerteller determined that beyond any doubt and 2) it is period-correct for its age.

thelinendial and sxl2004 like this.
  5. sxl2004 Sep 26, 2021

Thanks.
    Beautiful watch.

6. Mafkees Sep 27, 2021

Let's give this beauty an up. Lots of inquiries already, but none within the EU.
    Check out that black lacquer reflection!
    upload_2021-9-27_19-0-40.jpeg

7. Mafkees Oct 5, 2021

This one's OHPF.

8. Mafkees Oct 16, 2021

SOLD to an OF member.
    Thanks OF for the space.

Braindrain and Passover like this.