Forums Latest Members
  1. dublin Jan 25, 2017

Hey guys,

Would really value your opinion on this piece. Claims to be an Omega Calatrava from 1939 with original, untouched dial. Comes from Maximillan at Vintage Portfolio.

http://vintage-portfolio.com/Currrently-in-Service-Omega-WW2-WK2-Calatrava-Military/en

Are there any red flags here that I might be missing? I love the history and character of the watch. But haven't the experience to spot a well-refurbished dial or replaced parts.

Anyone dealt with this seller before and had a positive/negative experience? I see at least one forum referring to a fake on his site, though obviously this is unsubstantiated and the link to it is long dead.

I don't mind paying a bit of a premium (I don't expect to find a bargain given my inexperience) but don't want to be ripped off obviously. This is my first purchase and love the idea of a watch of this vintage.

Other info: Manual. Cal 26.5 sob. Steel 33mm diameter case.

Thanks for your help and advice! Even to get pointed in the right direction to do the research myself would be really appreciated.

front.JPG

upload_2017-1-25_10-55-7.png

upload_2017-1-25_10-55-27.png

Back2.JPG

upload_2017-1-25_10-56-13.png

2. dublin Jan 25, 2017

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 25, 2017

If you bought a sheep from Max, it would likely turn out to be a stray dog with a bad leg wrapped in a blanket, then get sick and drop dead a month later.

nicomedo, dublin, roryoc11 and 5 others like this.
  4. mac_omega Jan 25, 2017

Well, most of us remember the stories with Maximilian on this forum... I will hold off commenting these here.

However what I find interesting about the watch in question:

First when I read the title I thought: > just another misuse of the poor Calatrava <

To my great surprise the watch case really resembles the design of the famous Patek Ref 96 in a very pleasant way - I think in this case the description "Calatrava" must be tolerated.

So if you can´t afford a PP Calatrava 96 in stainless steel (which are pretty expensive in these days) you may take this one for your pleasure at a fraction of the cost.
    But to be candid and stay clear - I would only spend a third of the amount Max is asking for this small beaut

PS: should have an unsigned crown, that seems to be a later replacement part on an otherwise original looking watch

dublin, GuiltyBoomerang and Syrte like this.
  5. François Pépin Jan 25, 2017

The watch looks good. But I remember the way this seller told on OF how he asked his watchemaker to get his watches work the cheapest way. So when I see the balance screw extending out of the balance bridge, it raises my suspicion...

dublin, GuiltyBoomerang and Archer like this.
  6. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG Jan 25, 2017

Military?

Syrte likes this.
  7. ConElPueblo Jan 25, 2017

Because of the Arabic numbers :rolleyes:

Syrte likes this.
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 25, 2017

Probably just because 1939 :whistling:

9. slique12 Jan 25, 2017

The hands look too clean to my eyes, and have obviously been relumed. Something to consider if you're looking for something completely original.

dublin likes this.
  10. mac_omega Jan 25, 2017

Sorry to contradict - these hands have clearly old Radium lume and are beautifully preserved and match the rest of the watch.

dublin likes this.
  11. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 25, 2017

Maximilan clearly hasn't got the memo: if it's a "calatrava", it can't be military!
    I miss Dennis. He'd be having a field day with this.

Nice looking watch in any event!

noelekal, GuiltyBoomerang and Alpha like this.
  12. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jan 25, 2017

+1

13. slique12 Jan 25, 2017

Learn something new every day. My assumption was based on the color and state of the lume - haven't seen something this old with lume that looked this intact and green.

Kathmandu! likes this.
  14. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Jan 25, 2017

I would not recommend purchasing a watch from him. After getting kicked off the second or third time he can back under another assumed identity and purchased a watch from me. He asked me to declare a low value when shipping it too. Then my watch was posted on his site for several thousands of dollars more than I sold it here for. Is this the type of seller you would be comfortable buying from?

dublin likes this.
  15. dublin Jan 26, 2017

Thanks everyone for the thoughts. Really appreciate it. Especially the info on the seller.

It sounds like the consensus is:
    1) It is a nice-looking watch, ignoring the misnomer.
    2) The seller has a history of cutting corners in servicing, which will add significant cost down the line.
    3) The seller has a history of ripping off ignorant customers such as myself. So I should assume that I'm paying way above the odds.

I'm disappointed but it sounds like an easy pass - Thanks for helping me avoid a bad experience. Unless there's a price that people think wouldn't be unreasonable given these concerns? Is there a reasonable discount on EUR 1460 / USD 1580 that anyone thinks is fair, or should I really just keep looking?

16. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jan 26, 2017

Actually, I'm going to disagree with my learned friend Erich (mac_omega) with regard to value. I do believe that many of the seller's watches are significantly overpriced, but, ironically, I would not put this one in that category.

This is a pleasing and uncommon dial variation, and the watch is in remarkably good condition for its age. Yes, it's true that sub-34mm watches are considered to be too small by many collectors, but there are still plenty who would be happy to own such a nice example.

I would venture to guess that if this watch were to be well presented on eBay, it could possibly bring 1000€. certainly high three figures. And in that context, paying a few hundred more, rather than waiting what might be years to find a similarly attractive and well-preserved example, shouldn't be seen as unreasonable.

Finally, I wouldn't worry about service costs.

Cheers,

Tony C.

dublin likes this.
  17. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Jan 26, 2017

Hi,
    This watch is a nice ref. Looks like an Alcaios to me :
    [​IMG]
    A nice looking case that was produced both in 30mm and 33 mm. Here they are side by side for comparison (the 33mm is a project watch with incorrect minute hand.) :
    [​IMG]

dublin, Giff2577 and JimInOz like this.
  18. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jan 26, 2017

While the OP deserves credit for having seen the error of his ways (with regard to the post title), I'd like to point out that "Military Calatrava" really is the Daily Double of Dubious Descriptions. :D