Forums Latest Members
  1. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Mar 19, 2016

Just got this in the shop from a regular customer, he has done some research and not been able to find out very much about it. He's thinking of selling it and asked if I knew the approximate value, which I don't, for any watch that is, not only this particular one.

From the serial number it dates early 1930's.

Although it looks silver, there are no hallmarks anywhere, which seems odd.

Questions:

Is it genuine (crystal isn't it's plexi)

Any idea what is it worth?

Is it collectable?

Thanks for your feedback.
    Rob

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 19, 2016

it had better be cheap. The case looks like its been repaired, and the one repair is cracking and the movements been badly corroded at some time.

if it looked really nice in my hand and was running well, two or three hundred dollars at best.

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 19, 2016

What's the dial made out of, and would need to see pic,s of it without crystal to make sure not a redial

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 19, 2016

I find it unusual. A tank case with a circular, not rectangular dial.
    French made case but movement not Fab Suisse.
    Dial and Poire hands look correct for the period though.
    Most interesting, I don't remember seeing one like it (although my memory retention is shot nowdays).

5. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Mar 19, 2016

Can you please identify the 'repair' and 'crack', it looks to me as if this is how the case was made, not repaired. I can't imagine how or why a case like this would crack all over, and both the back and main parts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Really? Can you please identify where it's been 'badly corroded'. I see a bit of brassing which is not unusual for a movement of this vintage, but I see no signs of 'corrosion'.

[​IMG]

Thank you for your feedback.

6. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Mar 19, 2016

Do these help?

Dial looks like original enamel, at least the numerals and markings appear under the gloss...it has a couple of area's of damage, not unusual for a vintage piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 19, 2016

Case has correct logo and a serial number consistent with the movement.

That logo was used throughout the Omega line in the 1920's and '30's. Re-adopted by the French after WWII.

Dial looks to be porcelain. Whole thing looks to be original, but an old restoration is showing its age.

Might not be worth the money to repair the case and repair/replace worn parts. I'd wear it on occasional basis as-is.
    gatorcpa

8. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Mar 19, 2016

Well I am living in France and so is the customer...maybe that accounts for the French connection.

Does not the "Swiss" on the movement indicate Fab Swiss or should it have the Fab in front of it.

It is odd, but the movement fits the case perfectly, so if it was a marriage of parts, they got matched them up really well.

Thanks for the feedback.

9. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Mar 19, 2016

Thanks for the feedback.

What am I missing regarding the case condition?

It has no cracks or damage, so is there something else I don't see?

10. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 19, 2016

the left hand side of the top of the case, near the face from near the nine up to the lug, isn't that a strip set into the edge of the case? It could just be the photo but it looks like a strip set into the edge as a repair of the case and that strip looks to be cracked.

the larger of the two winding gears is badly pitted. Steel which has had heavy rust etched out with acid looks just like that wheel.These cases were anything but water resistant, so the steel bits tend to show it

I've seen Omegas from this era for in a lot better shape for 300 to 800 dollars so I guess I've gotten rather picky

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 19, 2016

Looks like there were repairs to plating on the upper left side of the case. Evidence of soldering inside the case. Winding wheels had some major rust removal at one time. The finish is very pourous.

See your pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gatorcpa

Fritz likes this.
  12. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Mar 19, 2016

Thanks for the feedback.

Great observation on the case, in person it is virtually invisible and not at all noticeable, but the camera angle picked it up. Well done.

Pitting on the winding gears is normal for this age, I wouldn't consider it badly pitted, just slight pitting from an open case design.

13. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Mar 19, 2016

I see so many vintage pieces that this bit of pitting, on a non-acting surface doesn't even register anymore. It comes with the vintage territory.

Worse of course is all the botched work that so called 'watchmakers' cause, that is the biggest issue overall and much worse and more destructive than any corrosion.

Thanks for the feedback.

Doesn't look as if the watch has a lot of value or collectability.

14. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Mar 19, 2016

It's all relative isn't it, this is what I consider corrosion, which actually cleaned up just fine. Depending on your perspective it changes the assessment of condition.

NOTE - This is NOT the Omega in question, in fact it's not an Omega at all...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fritz likes this.
  15. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 19, 2016

ouch! Thanks for an interesting morning Horlogerie.

16. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Mar 19, 2016

Hi unusual watch, which doesn't mean great value anyway.
    What is the caliber Inside (the ref is engraved under the balance wheel but I can't read it), and what is the case size? Couldn't find anthing like that in my catalogs, I'll scan through the adverts.
    The Fab Suisse or importé de Suisse markings were compulsory as from 1924 if I understand correctly (see this link http://thoughts.onthedash.com/thoughts/the-fab-suisse-marking-on-watch-dials/).

Regarding the round dial in a square or rectangular case, there are a few example in Omega collections, like this later T17 ref CK986 :

[​IMG]
    PS : where are you in France?

17. agee Mar 19, 2016

IMO-the watch is cool and collectible-has a few issues
    but cool nevertheless

18. chipsotoole Oct 14, 2016

19. chipsotoole Oct 14, 2016

I just picked up one of these on eBay France, but a mix of the two. The enamel face as above at the thread start and the casing of this T17. It's numbered at 7000249 putting it around 1930. Is the case right for this period? Seems to be in relatively good condition (missing the crown) but probably worth repairing at I only paid 70 euros for it. article number:162230160452 proper pics to follow.

20. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Oct 15, 2016

Hi,
    I saw this one. Not an Omega case, the caliber is a 26.5 (I suppose, it could also be a 23.7, we ´ll see when you receive it) but not a T 17. T17 is a form (rectangular) caliber. It has non matching hour/minute hands. It is an interesting donnor if the dial is not cracked.