Forums Latest Members
  1. AdInfinitum Feb 7, 2018

Really wish I had a copy of AJTT - would be extremely grateful to anyone who can identify the movement; I was expecting a 23.4 but this might be a tad older...?

Case size 31mm without crown, they really don't make mens' watches like they used to!

Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at 6.26.25 AM.png
    IMG_0040.JPG
    IMG_0041.jpg

PS watch is not for sale :)

2. Temprus Feb 7, 2018

Probably omega caliber R17 movement.

AdInfinitum likes this.
  3. Temprus Feb 7, 2018

Nice watch!

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 7, 2018

5. Edantony Feb 7, 2018

Unusual, quite unique. Enjoy!! :)

6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 7, 2018

Very cool.

7. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 7, 2018

Hi
    I would like to add , I have notice on movements going into the gold cases at that time.... seemed to have been up jeweled... if you were to come across the steel version it would most likely have a 15j movement....

Bill

Mark020, AdInfinitum and BenBagbag like this.
  8. MikeMan2727 Feb 7, 2018

Awesome hands on this one. Haven't seen this before!

AdInfinitum likes this.
  9. Vitezi Feb 7, 2018

Reminds me of @Tire-comedon 's Marine (an appropriate name for a watch with Neptune's trident):
    [​IMG]

AdInfinitum likes this.
  10. Dr No Feb 7, 2018

It may not be for sale now, but I'm claiming dibs anyways.

:D

Koen and AdInfinitum like this.
  11. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Feb 7, 2018

Is it a screw in caseback?

12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 7, 2018

Naïad crown?

13. AdInfinitum Feb 7, 2018

Thanks to everyone for kind words and sharing your knowledge!

Really admire your eye for detail :thumbsup:

Looks like Omega was making trident hands cool 60+ years before Christopher Ward :cool:

Very nice! The ostrich strap complements the dial patina nicely ::love::

Yes, screw-in caseback with raised polygon.

Not sure right now... will do some research and keep you posted!

14. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Feb 7, 2018

Interesting... Could you post a picture?

15. Kwijibo Feb 9, 2018

very interesting. I love this movement. Just see the quality of the ratchet wheel. stunning.

16. SRUK Oct 16, 2019

Hi I have just joined this forum because I want to know more about my dad’s Omega watch with a Neptune’s Trident. The size has been described as a ladies watch and a boys watch. This watch has a cracked/crazed glass but otherwise in good condition and works well.
    I really want to find out if its worth having the glass changed and possibly with an eye to selling as I am one of three daughters who have inherited this watch and its not easy to share LOL. This is all that we know from the watch itself:
    CK 2173 (we think thats 1941)
    23 4 SCTI
    Case 9959273
    Case no 9,000.000
    Any info would be helpful so that we can move forward. Many thanks 7F2BD63A-EBDF-45EE-BBBE-E25FCD448C2B.jpeg View attachment 854990 5C47EA15-679C-4BFC-B99C-FD5AC9CDD51D.jpeg

GTAKnights and Dr No like this.
  17. Vitezi Oct 16, 2019

Hello, and welcome to the forum! If you measure across the face of the watch (not including the crown) with a ruler or a caliper and it reads about 31mm, then you have a man's watch. Men's watches from the 1940s were much smaller then than they are now, and they are a perfect size for ladies to wear today.

Your watch looks to be in very nice condition, and that style is highly collectible. If you plan to sell the watch, leave it untouched. Don't replace the crystal. Have a local watchmaker or jeweler gently remove the caseback, and take plenty of well-lit, focused pictures of the watch movement and of the markings on the inside caseback to show to any potential buyers.

If you decide to keep the watch as an heirloom and you want to wear it as a timepiece, then you should take the watch to a watchmaker and have them service the movement. The watchmaker will check all of the moving bits inside the watch for wear and tear, will clean and lubricate the movement, and will adjust the timing so that it is accurate.

18. SRUK Oct 16, 2019

Thank you so much for that info. It is indeed a man’s watch. Thank goodness my dad wasn’t wearing a ladies watch all these years! He actually found the watch on a train in South Africa during the war when he was serving in the RAF and never found the owner. As you can imagine troop trains were very busy and confusing places. It has always been a bit of a mystery.
    We don't know how to approach selling it because we don’t have a clue on value. If any one can advise on the liable value and how best to sell it would be a big help to us

19. Vitezi Oct 16, 2019

The first thing to do is to make sure you and your family want to sell the watch. I encourage folks to keep their heirloom watches; they are perhaps more intimate than other heirlooms, especially when you realize that your father's eyes often looked at the same dial that you're looking at now.

Since these watches do not come up for sale often, it is hard to estimate their value. We have a few collectors on this forum that specialize in early Omega's, namely @Tire-comedon, @mac_omega, @tdn-dk who perhaps could opine on value.

Or, you can let the market decide upon the value by selling it yourself on an auction site with a large collector's audience such as eBay. We generally recommend a long listing time (10 days); lots of well-lit, in-focus pictures; a detailed listing that describes the watch; and a low starting price. This type of do-it-yourself listing captures the largest audience which is crucial to obtaining a true market value for the watch.

If you prefer a hands-off approach, you can also sell through an auction house that specializes in the sale of vintage watches. They will handle the listing and the sale of the watch for you.

From time to time, the kind moderators on this Forum allow private sales from folks such as yourself. @Bill Sohne, @gatorcpa or @dsio may reach out to you and advise you if this is permitted.

Dr No likes this.
  20. Dr No Oct 16, 2019

Three sisters altogether? There are twelve months in a year. Share it, four months apiece.

Your Dad would be pleased if you did.

Art