Forums Latest Members
  1. dall-houston Oct 25, 2017

I'm reaching out to see if any of you can provide me with details about this watch I just purchased. I have done my due diligence. I've spent many fruitless hours on the internet and I have reviewed all my reference material. So far all I can tell you is the case in .925 Sterling Silver and based on the serial number it was manufactured about 1918.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do not have a picture of the inside of the case back because I have not received the watch yet.

Any information you can provide will be appreciated.

Dall

dancazacu and mikechi22 like this.
  2. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Oct 25, 2017

3. François Pépin Oct 25, 2017

The movement is based on the shape of the 19''. There were several wristwatches made with this kind of movement, but still it is rather rare. In particular with this nice decoration. I have seen this decoration on pochet watches with 35,5 or 37,5, but it is rather unusual for a 19'' shape wristwatch movement.

What is the size of the movement?

Yann may have more info! @Tire-comedon

4. dall-houston Oct 25, 2017

Thank you for the reply.

I do not know the exact size of the movement because I have not received the watch yet. The case measures 30mm wide not including the crown.

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 25, 2017

Based on the fact that there is a partial case serial number engraved on the mid-case near the movement, I'm guessing that this is an US made silver case. However, US cases from this era are usually marked "Sterling", but not 0.925, unless made for export (which is certainly possible here).

The caseback will have the clues.
    gatorcpa

6. trim Oct 25, 2017

It is a negative set movement, and I would expect it to be in a USA case - it certainly looks like one. It is hard to ID the movement without a measurement, but it is possibly a 3/0 (27.96NN) sized movement which is quite rare and was made for USA sized cases.

This is mine, which is less that 200 serial number away from yours.

[​IMG]

7. dall-houston Oct 25, 2017

I should have the watch by Friday. I look forward to having more information!

8. dall-houston Oct 25, 2017

Your watch is beautiful! Was it in that condition when you purchased it?

The lumen on the dial and hands is fantastic.

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 25, 2017

An example of a US Cushion-style case, circa 1918:

[​IMG]

The last 3 or 4 digits were typically engraved on the mid-case, like on your example, to allow the workers to match up the custom fitted pieces at the factory.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

10. dall-houston Oct 25, 2017

Thank you so much! Yes this definitely helps!

11. trim Oct 25, 2017

Thanks, and no, I had to restore it. I needed to service the movement and the hands needed to be re-blued and I redid all the lume.

Thanks, sadly not original, but I was happy with how it turned out. The lume at the age is often not original and very fragile (it used to be recommended that it be replaced every 2 years).

dall-houston likes this.
  12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 25, 2017

The remaining radium on OP's watch is likely original. The radium on the hands could also be original. After 100 years, it's just not going to age the same way.

It may be possible to restore the dial without removing the radium. You just need to find the right restorer. Sadly, I don't know anyone who does that kind of work.
    gatorcpa

13. trim Oct 25, 2017

I personally doubt the hands, while I agree they don't always age exactly, original ones don't usually exhibit this difference in the base colour.

That said, I don't see that the provenance of the lume on these antique pieces is a significant issue. My point was that in this period, lume was considered a consumable - so who can say in any specific case? I have some I know are original, and some I believe are original - I can't prove in any but one case that it is actually original - it is all speculation, I don't know any test that can determine the difference between 100 year old lume and 98 year old lume etc.

There is also the question, if it should be preserved. As at such an age it is friable, damaging to the hands, movement and potentially health.

I agree that the OPs is worth trying to preserve. They have to be pretty much gone before I consider redoing them myself.

Edited Oct 25, 2017
    dall-houston likes this.
  14. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Oct 25, 2017

Yes indeed, OP's Watch is a 29.96NN without doubt. A not so common caliber in a case that is probably not Omega. I don't think anything canbe done to properly restore the dial.

Trim, yours is in an exceptional condition!

Larry S and François Pépin like this.
  15. dall-houston Oct 25, 2017

Trim,

You did a masterful job on your watch! You just don't see watches like yours - ever.

Dall

16. dall-houston Oct 25, 2017

GatorCPA,

Have you ever heard of Dennis Kaye in Cary, NC? He was recommended on the NAWCC site for restoring enamel and porcelain dials. I think he does complete dial refinishing, but his specialty is supposed to be only repairing the part of the dial that needs it and leaving it as original as possible.

This is the link to his site: http://www.dialrepair.com/

He's not cheap ($300), but I'd really like to save this watch.

Dall

17. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 25, 2017

I've actually purchased LeCoultre Atmos material from him at one point, but never used him for a dial repair. I suspect that this would be an expensive proposition, as porcelain repair has to be very labor intensive work.

Not sure if the value is there on this piece to spend that kind of money just for the dial.
    gatorcpa

18. dall-houston Oct 25, 2017

Trim,

99% of the watches I could find on the internet that looked anything like ours had the lume removed from the dial. The hands had been relumed, but for whatever reason, the numbers on the dial were not.

Dall

19. dall-houston Oct 25, 2017

That is where I'm stuck. I'm new to collecting and with where my collection is currently, I don't see myself selling this watch. Aside from me thinking it's a very cool and interesting watch, my 17 year old son (who wears a beautiful 1954 Seamaster daily) loves this watch. Since he is my only child he will ultimately end up with my watch collection.

So, how do I know where to draw the line with regard to how much money I should spend on this watch to bring it back close to its original glory?

Dall

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  20. dall-houston Oct 25, 2017

Yann,

Please keep in mind that I am very new at vintage watches.

Why do you think my watch case is not an Omega? It looks just like Trim's watch.

Dall