Forums Latest Members

1917 Omega Reference 568.13 with Extract of the Archives

1. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Nov 10, 2015

Back in August I bought a very early Omega wristwatch, and was curious enough about it to order an extract, the first one I have purchased since late last year. In all, it took about nine weeks to arrive after my request was presented to Omega USA Customer Service.

The presentation folio is a significant upgrade from the old style, executed in heavy red stock embossed with "Omega Musee" and closed with an Ω-stamped wax seal - a nice finishing touch.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Now, on to the watch & extract. Given that the watch is nearly a century old, I was not confident that an extract would be available. Kudos to Omega for having kept records back this far, and for making this service available to the collecting community. :thumbsup: The extract is shown below so I won't list the information here, except to make two comments.

First, the caliber 13'" SOB is perfect, as I am also an SOB, though measured in inches, not lignes.:whistling:

Second, while the fact that this watch was delivered to the French Colonies is pretty cool to me (my ancestors on the paternal side are French), it really doesn't narrow it down much. In the early 20th century, the French Colonial empire was enormous and and far-flung... Indo-China, Equatorial and Southern Africa, and the Americas. Still I like knowing even that detail, and it is not hard to imagine that it has traveled quite far & wide before reaching my hands.

All in all I am very satisfied with the outcome, and pleased to learn more about this Omega reference 568.13, by far my eldest watch. :D

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

2. Rman Nov 10, 2015

Congratulations, that is one nice SOB!

What is the case size?

3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Nov 10, 2015

Thanks Ryan! It has a hunter-style case that is a shade under 35mm. A very wearable size to me, and one of my favorites to strap on the wrist now and then.

4. Rman Nov 10, 2015

Stunning! Not a single craze in the enamel! :eek:
    Even the extract is sexy.

Darlinboy likes this.
  5. CdnWatchDoc Nov 10, 2015

Fantastic info on a great looking piece! Doubt this ended up in Indo-china, given how good that dial looks. Sounds like you could have a great search on your hands!!

Darlinboy likes this.
  6. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Nov 10, 2015

Thanks and ... Hey....

you're balanced again!
    image.jpeg

CdnWatchDoc likes this.
  7. arkstfan Nov 10, 2015

Got butterflies from that. Wonderful looking piece.

Darlinboy likes this.
  8. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG Nov 10, 2015

Lovely.

Darlinboy likes this.
  9. mozambique Nov 10, 2015

Thanks for sharing. Beautiful watch and interesting background

Darlinboy likes this.
  10. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Nov 10, 2015

Wonderful, historic watch. Just love those hands, and the beautiful patina of the silver case!

I have an old one on the way (I think you've seen it ;)), but unfortunately, it's been polished bright ::rant:. Guess I'll have to work on that!

BTW, where did you get your strap? It's a nice one. My wire lugs are (supposedly) 13mm, case 38mm, so I'm not sure if I will need to go Bund-style or not...

Congrats, and thanks for sharing this :thumbsup:!

Darlinboy likes this.
  11. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Nov 11, 2015

Seriously cool watch. I had no idea Omega's records reached back that far.

Darlinboy likes this.