Forums Latest Members

18k constellation türler pie-pan - is this beauty not a bargain?

1. Togri Mar 17, 2014

This is priced at approx. $2100 USD. Isn't that quite a bargain? I believe I have seen 18k connies in worse condition selling for quite a bit more. Am I missing something? It is listed as all original. A cal. 571 from 1962. Does it have an impact on the price that it's a Türler?

What does the Omega Jedi-masters say? ::confused2::

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 17, 2014

A caliber what?? !

3. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Mar 17, 2014

I say the price is fair. The case is a little bit polished - some stars are missing and edges on the case have been polished down. Crown is wrong but it has a nice looking dial. Also, Cal. 561?

citizenrich likes this.
  4. Togri Mar 17, 2014

Eeehh, I can see what you mean. Just looked at omega database. It is listed as cal. 571 but must be a 561. No movement pics. Hmm... Well, too much $$ for me at this point. Just though it was a nice price for solid gold bling bling. Thx guys
    ::money::

5. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Mar 17, 2014

IMO having the Turler on the dial actually detracts a bit from the value. Why would one pay extra for a standard production watch that had the dial defaced by adding a retailers name? Its not as if this is a limited edition specifically made for Turler. My 2c

agee likes this.
  6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 17, 2014

The retailer's name in the correct font (like this one) is almost always an indicator of an original dial, so then it becomes a matter of personal preference.

Is this a deluxe model with a solid gold dial? If so, then it's a steal at that price.

On the minus side, it seems that the case has been pretty harshly polished at some point.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

hoipolloi likes this.
  7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 17, 2014

I'd buy it at that

8. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 17, 2014

Yes, the dial is 18K solid gold with large onyx inserts. A steal at that price no matter what movement inside.

9. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 17, 2014

Nice pie pan deluxe with onyx inserts. I agree that's a bargain.

10. tomvox1 Mar 17, 2014

+1 and I would only add that other watch brands with co-branded dials attract a avid following and it has always mystified me as to why Omegas do not. I mean, how can one say that Tiffany or Cartier on the dial "defaces" the watch? Türler or Meister may not be as uncommon but still more unusual than a standard issue dial. They were/are a bit like the Tiffany of Zurich in their own way with wonderfully long histories--130 years in business for Türler, for example. And you know Omega chose to allow them to co-brand a select number of their watches for a reason, as regards prestige, appeal to a select clientele, etc.
    All comes down to different collecting cultures, I suppose.
    I do admit to having been on quite a Türler kick for a while there...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (Original dial -- replacement case)

Still have one very special one in my collection but I think I may give vintage double-signed Meisters a shot now. :)
    Best & to each their own,
    T.

0uss, Patrick Dixon and JohnSteed like this.
  11. Togri Mar 18, 2014

Thx guys. I have contacted the seller for movement pics and some info. He writes that it's a one owner watch during the whole time, so he might even have the box for it.

12. Togri Apr 1, 2014

Hello again

I have now had the watch in my hands and it is quite good looking. But another question about the dial arise, which I hope someone can help clarify:

The case back says 168.005/6:

The description for the 168.005 (168.0005) says: "Dial
    "Pie-pan" type, De Luxe version with hand-rivetted gold hour markers and "Dauphine" gold hands" , while the description for the 168.006 says:
    "Dial De Luxe, "Pie-pan" type, solid gold with onyx inserted hour markers, "Dauphine" gold hands, and gold central sweep-second hand".

Is a 168.005/6 the 18k gold dial-version or is or is it only the hour markers and hands that are gold? The description for the 005 lack the "solid gold" after dial-type.

Can anyone answer that? :confused:

Kind regards
    Togri

13. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 1, 2014

As is typical of the Omega database, the information is incomplete, offering only one of perhaps dozens of possible dial configurations. Plenty of incorrect and inaccurate information there as well.

The only way to know if your dial is 18K gold is to have it removed to see if its marked as such on the back.

14. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 1, 2014

It is common in that era to have one case back for two type of watch. In this case is both 168.005 and 168.006. Since your watch has solid gold dial, then the reference you use is 168.006.

15. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 1, 2014

It's a 168.006 with piepan 18k dial large onyx markers. You don't need to remove the dial.

16. Togri Apr 1, 2014

Thanks so very much gentlemen!!

17. pitpro Likes the game. Apr 1, 2014

Wondering if you purchased this?
    Please check the caseback. It looks to possibly
    have significant damage, gouges, deep scratches and
    possibly dents.

18. Togri Apr 1, 2014

No, I haven't purchased it yet. The caseback is as you warn has a few scratches and very minor dents. They really are very small. It looks better IRL than these pictures. I'm not that big on gold watches, so this would be a purchase with intend to resell in the not so distant future (to buy another omega of course:whistling: )

Even though I might be able to get this for as little as $1800 US, I'm just not sure. I'm new to this and it would only be my second buy from a private seller (seller dont't care about watches. He just wants the watch gone and dont care he don't get full money for it) and my first sell, when it goes again. So I'm not sure if the price I can get will be worth it. Movement is in very good condition and dial is perfect but just not sure with the case being polished and all.

19. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 1, 2014

As they say in the NFL, "After further review..."

I think this watch may not be a Ref. 168.006, but instead is the slightly earlier (and rarer) Ref. 14902. Basically the same watch with a little different case.

A pristine example was seen on this forum here:

http://omegaforums.net/threads/views-on-this-18k-connie-14902.3218/

The major difference is that the medallion on the 168.006 is recessed into the caseback like this:

[​IMG]

The medallion on the target watch is raised:

[​IMG]

Now, it may be that some very early Ref. 168.006 casebacks had this type of medallion. I would want to see pictures of both the movement and the inside of the caseback. I'd be looking for a serial number in the 20M to 21M range.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

JohnSteed likes this.
  20. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 1, 2014