Forums Latest Members

18K Constellation Pie Pan Milanese Bracelet Marked "Brevete" with a buckle not a clasp ?

1. snyderd747 Dec 2, 2017

Found this 18K Constellation Pie Pan in safe deposit box after 50 years in storage.
    I have not seen a band/bracelet like this. Its stamped "Brevete" and "750".

Ive taken it into a watch ship to get reference number details.

Anyone seen this type band/bracelet before?

FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_7425.PNG IMG_7426.PNG IMG_7447.JPG IMG_7449.JPG IMG_7481.JPG IMG_7511.JPG
  2. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Dec 2, 2017

I've seen this bracelet or a very similar one described as non omega with omega buckle.
    It was offered by an Italian dealer and I think popped up at christies or sotherbys last month with the description above.
    It was attached to a gold constellation with black dial.
    Looks like it didn't sell at auction and is back up for sale on his site.

IMG_0482.PNG

ConElPueblo likes this.
  3. ConElPueblo Dec 2, 2017

Perhaps the one in the OP was found in a bank box in Italy... ;)

Funny to see such a watch with a date. Looks weird to me in some way...

4. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Dec 2, 2017

That’s a mighty fine case.
    Pics aren’t good enough to ‘ptive’ The dial but looks okay at a first pass.

Is the flat buckle not a later style?

Welcome to the forum.

Edited Dec 3, 2017
  5. snyderd747 Dec 3, 2017

Thank you for the input. Sorry to hear this may not be an original Omega band. But as you can see from the new pictures, your Brevete markings look the same as mine. The watch came out of my fathers safe deposit box here in Washington DC area. His employer (here in the U.S. gave him this watch as a bonus many years ago in the 1950-60s?).

I have dropped the watch at a Watchmaker and will have more details on the reference number and other specifics Tuesday.....and...
    I may send off to Omega to get an extract from their archives to see how this watch left the plant in Biel and when. (CHF 120)

The Watch has been sitting 50 years and the Watchmaker told me I should not have wound the watch a bit to see how it ran. Ran fine, but he said all lubricant would be dry and I could have damaged it.

I have a question for you! I plan to sell this watch (have no idea of the value) but its only $550 to send it back to Omega Service for rework, lubrication, restoration of small dings in the back....However, the watchmaker suggested that I do not send it for such service, he said that true collectors would not want the watch touched, and prefer the actual present condition with no service. WHAT DO YOU THINK? If I send to Omega they will warrant service for 24 months. Should I service it or not???

Thanks for all your input.

FullSizeRender2.jpg FullSizeRender3.jpg
  6. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Dec 3, 2017

DO NOT SEND IT TO OMEGA!
    If you’re going to sell it don’t even service it.
    Collectors will prefer it ‘as found’

Vicke likes this.
  7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 3, 2017

Breveté, French, meaning patent or patented.

chronos and snyderd747 like this.
  8. kkt Dec 4, 2017

Your watchmaker is correct. Winding it once and letting it run down probably did minimal damage, but don't wind it again until it's been serviced. Your watchmaker is also correct about collectors preferring the watch unrestored. Sending it to Omega will result in a new-looking watch devoid of vintage value. Instead, use a watchmaker who will just service the movement and otherwise leave it alone. There are watchmakers who will give a warranty similar to Omega's on service.

9. Edward53 Dec 4, 2017

So that's where I've been going wrong, I'm looking in the wrong places. I must remember to look in safe deposit boxes in future!

If you are going to sell that watch, do not do ANYTHING to it. Don't have it serviced as you won't recoup the cost and anyway the buyer will have their own preferred watchmaker. Sell it exactly as it is now. If you are not desperate for the money I would wait until next year when people's finances have recovered from Christmas.

chronos likes this.
  10. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Dec 4, 2017

alternatively someone might write to Santa Claus to see if they can get it as a Christmas present....

Rumar89 likes this.
  11. snyderd747 Dec 4, 2017

Good News! I was able to contact the seller in Rome ....of the Black Dial Omega Constellation (that has the same 18k band) mentioned/pictured in the earlier post. Mr Foffi assures me that the band is an original Omega factory band. I also learned that the Brevete marking does mean "patented".

I plan to verify further to make sure this is original and obtain further confirmation of such.

Note: This seems to make sense, since my 94 year old father says he was given this by his employer back in the 1950's/60's. Dad's memory is gone. But I know my father was always very frugal and never would have spent money on a solid gold band.

My appreciation for all of your helpful posts.

12. ConElPueblo Dec 4, 2017

I hope that I don't sound disrespectful, but I would like to see Omega markings on any strap/bracelet that was purportedly originally from Omega. Also, I'd like to see the buckle logo be of much better quality - at least on the Italian one it looks rather clumsy. The very bold "Brevete" strikes me as odd too.

I wonder why Omega would offer this, apparently, alongside a number of gold milanese bands. And with a buckle type not seen elsewhere (well, at least I haven't seen it before :D )

Would you mind sharing a photo "head on" the buckle? So that logo is clear and in focus?

chronos and cristos71 like this.
  13. snyderd747 Dec 4, 2017

Thanks ConElPueblo, I greatly appreciate your candor and expertise! I agree that this issue needs further research/verification.
    The watch is at the watchmaker. I dropped it off Saturday and pick it up tomorrow. He was simply asked to open it up and take a look, provide his input and document the insides. So I will have pictures of the inside and all specifications (ref number etc) Tuesday. And I will try to take better pictures of band and watch....and will post.

Appreciate your expertise and input!

ConElPueblo likes this.
  14. snyderd747 Dec 5, 2017

More information on watch. Appears to be from 1957.
    Its a Caliber 504. Case marked Model 2943 2954 SC. Movement 15777517. Case 3239737. Here are inside pictures. The watchmaker told me he can tell by markings in case its only been serviced once in 1959. That is consistent with my Father thinking its been in safe deposit for 50 years. Thank to all for your valued input. He said its very dry on lubricant and warned me not to wind.

bIMG_7602.jpg bIMG_7608b.jpg bIMG_7616.jpg bIMG_7643.jpg bIMG_7645.jpg bIMG_7647.png
  15. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Dec 5, 2017

Do you have a shot of the inside caseback?

16. fjf Dec 5, 2017

That's a wonderful watch!. Preserve it for your children, and enjoy it in good health!.

17. snyderd747 Dec 5, 2017

Forgot a shot of inside case back.sorry

bbb.jpg
    ConElPueblo likes this.
  18. kkt Dec 5, 2017

I'm a little surprised that it would need to be serviced in 1959 if it was new in 1957.
    Most watchmakers put their marks inside the case, but not all.

19. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Dec 5, 2017

Thank you

20. ConElPueblo Dec 6, 2017

I've had a 6 months old Speedmaster sent back for regulation once... It doesn't have to be a full service that was done.