Forums Latest Members
  1. hermansen Sep 22, 2016

I just got my Speedy SS back from a factory service, as it was running about two minutes fast a day.

I've had it back now since monday, and it now runs about +10s a day.

Now I know the 1863 isn't cosc, but isn't that a bit high regardless?

Considering I just paid 820$ for a service, I'd expect it to do better than that.

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Sep 22, 2016

3. w.finkenstaedt Sep 22, 2016

1863 caliber tolerances are -1/+11 iirc from the past time Archer quoted them.

The more important part than getting close to zero is how consistent is it? How are you leaving it at night? I'd bet it's doing dramatically better after a full service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. hermansen Sep 23, 2016

I still feel +10 is a bit much, but I'll give it a couple of weeks to settle in to the new lubricants.

It sits in a watch case at night, face up, wrapped around a watch pillow.

It went from + 2 minutes to + 10 seconds, so it's def a big improvement. But I was expecting something like + 2 seconds to be honest.

5. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Sep 23, 2016

Care to let us know who charged $820 and sent it back like that?

6. hermansen Sep 23, 2016

Official Omega service through the swatch group.
    Did not have the watch polished,

7. VillageIdiot Sep 23, 2016

Well, Omega has something like -1/+11 sec/day for the speedy, COSC is like -4/+6 sec/day, Metas is something like 0/+5 sec/day, and I think only Rolex has -2/+2 sec/day. While you can expect +2, you're certainly not guaranteed to get it.

8. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Sep 23, 2016

It may just be within Omega specs but I'm pretty sure any decent independent would have spent a bit of time to get it running more accurately.
    I doubt Al would be happy to return a watch running that far out.

9. hermansen Sep 23, 2016

Is there a chance that it will "settle in" once the lubricants get a bit worn in?
    It's my first service, so I really don't know much about it.

10. VillageIdiot Sep 23, 2016

That may be, but it's irrelevant. OP used Omega, and Omega's pretty unlikely to do anything, since it technically meets specs.

Of course, he could get lucky ....

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 23, 2016

As noted the specs for average daily rate are between -1 and +11, with the "target rate" being +6.

Positional variation is higher still, so you could always try a different resting position at night to find one that slows it down a bit while you are not wearing it.

You could always ask to have it regulated tighter, but since it's likely within specs, they are within their rights to refuse it. Not sure if you went through an AD, boutique, or sent it in directly. If you have a boutique close that has a watchmaker on staff, you may have better luck there than sending it back in to the service center.

Cheers, Al

12. hermansen Sep 24, 2016

So I downloaded Twixt Time on my iPhone and tracked the Speedy.
    The problem is worse than I thought, +15.3 s/day.

Should I just send it back? This is obviously not a job well done.

13. RightYouAreKen Sep 24, 2016

What time period did you measure it over? A fully day?

FWIW my new 1861 is running a consistent +8 to +10 s/d when wearing, resting dial up, or resting crown up. When resting crown down it runs dead nuts on +0 s/d, so when I do that overnight the full daily rate comes out to about +6 s/d. Maybe something to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. hermansen Sep 24, 2016

It's measured over 36 hours. And I'll keep measuring until monday, just to make sure it really is as bad as it looks.
    I wound it before starting, and once yesterday. And now again.
    It's still sitting in my watch case, face up on a pillow. I'll try to put it crown down after another 12 hours.

15. cottonlume Sep 26, 2016

Have it adjusted again?