Forums Latest Members

SOLD 176.007 Seamaster chronograph

1. gee_cee May 21, 2020

I've decided to sell my 176.007 Seamaster chronograph dating to the early 70's with the legendary Cal.1040 automatic movement.

I bought it from a member over on TZ-UK in 2013 after hunting for one of these for the longest time, and it went straight off to Duncan at Genesis (respected UK Independent) for a full service (see pics). The crystal and crown were replaced at service but the originals are included. The watch is running well with no issues.

The sunburst dial is just stunning and one of the nicest I've seen on any watch. It looks a flat midnight blue in subdued light, but once sunlight catches it, it flashes electric.

Mine has the rarer needle-tip second hand which you don't see so often. The caseback logo is the earliest of several variants used.

The sunburst case-brushing is still very much evident but is not as defined as it once was, and has picked up light swirlies in places over the brush effect. Nothing too bad at all though, and importantly, the edge and lug profiles look full and sharp.

No box or papers unsurprisingly, but the paperwork from the service will be included and I'll add a spare Omega service case.

I'm offering two options for the bracelet:

I bought a NOS 22mm Omega shark mesh recently which compliments the classic vintage Seamaster look and I'm offering the watch on that.

Alternatively, If the buyer would prefer the 1171 bracelet with the rare 653 endlinks I'll include that instead, however a couple of links have been removed from it at some point in the past and I've no spare links for it, so it'll fit a maximum 6.25in wrist size which I know will be too small for many. I used to believe this 1171/653 bracelet must have been a later replacement and that 176.007's only came on the 1170 originally; but I've since seen info on here and elsewhere that suggests this 1171 is also correct so I believe it's likely to be original - happy to be corrected though.

All in all this is a tidy example of a wearable, legible and robust classic 70's chrono. I'm asking £1950, and ideally a UK sale if possible due to posting / insurance challenges in the current situation.

Socks, Gaz6263, Pjotr1 and 10 others like this.