Forums Latest Members
  1. TNTwatch Nov 30, 2015

I think it's fine if you like the hands like these. I've seen someone even changed them to all white like this for their own enjoyment. Just remember to stock up correct replacement hands since they're running out at independent sources.

About Japan specials, at least since the late 50s, early 60s, Omega had already produced special editions for the Japanese market only like the jumbo Constellations, and possibly other models as well.

2. Ken G Nov 30, 2015

That's a good idea - there is a rush, actually!

Thanks for the info - had no idea about earlier specials. I was only aware of special Speedies (would love a Racing Pro, for example) and some Dynamics from the 90s-00s (got one eye half-looking out for a 5202.51 or a 5203.81).

Would love to see what any earlier Japan-limited Seamasters looked like!

3. Ken G Dec 4, 2015

Well, the watch arrived today and, as promised, here are a few pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall, I'm delighted with it, but the chrono reset isn't working perfectly: sometimes needs several pushes to get the minute counter to go all the way back to zero and the hour subdial counter doesn't reset all the way back to 12 - it's slightly to the right. So obviously it will need a servicing - something I was planning to do anyway...

I really like the all-white hands and the blue bezel. But part of me wants to get the "proper" orange-tipped jet hand and the hour & minute hands with black at the bottom. I'm also thinking of getting the white bezel (maybe even the non-tachy 0-100 one).

The Omega mesh is absolutely mint - literally not a mark on it. Delighted with this as I'm a big fan of omega mesh.

As I said, overall, for the price I paid (just under US$1400), I couldn't be happier...

Hijak, TNTwatch and Andy K like this.
  4. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Dec 4, 2015

Looks great Ken! Congrats and welcome to the 007 club!

5. Ken G Dec 4, 2015

Thanks, Andy! I couldn't and wouldn't have gone for it without the help from you and the other 007 Club Members on this thread and forum. Thanks again!

Now that I'm here, can I ask another couple of quick ones? :)

What's the case back availability situation like for this model? Of course it's not that important, but was just wondering. This one I got today has no Seahorse visible at all and has a couple of major scratches. I couldn't find one for this reference on Ofrei...

I did find that white "Decimal" bezel I mentioned above on Ofrei, though. Does anyone have any pictures of that fitted to a 176.007? Curious as to how it looks...

Thanks, as always, for sharing your knowledge.

6. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Dec 4, 2015

I don't know about a modern replacement caseback, but from time to time they show up used on eBay, either by themselves or as entire cases that have been sold as parts when a dial/movement has been water damaged beyond repair. The problem is that usually the ones that come up are in rough shape, too. Maybe just set an ebay alert?

I've never seen a decimal bezel actually fitted on a 007 outside of the photo in AJTT, but I bet it would look nice on yours!

7. Ken G Dec 4, 2015

I had a feeling the caseback availability situation wasn't good - I'll set that eBay alert! Just for the record, here's what I have at the moment:

[​IMG]

I can live with that as is, but was just thinking if I was having the movement looked at; hands replaced etc anyway, then I could have just tidied up the back while I was at it.

I was just looking at the watch on my wrist again there and thinking that I really like the all blue dial/bezel combo. An hour ago my mind was made up that I was going to go for a white "decimal"!

8. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Dec 5, 2015

I suppose there are modern replacements available:
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=311498517109&globalID=EBAY-USPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    But it's a very different engraving than the original. I'd just keep an eye out for a pre owned original, without the circle.

9. Ken G Dec 5, 2015

That one you posted looks great, Andy! I'd much rather have that on my watch than what I've got at the moment. :)

And as it's a 176.001 case back, theoretically that style could have been original on some early examples of 176.007. Is that right? (I didn't think to put 176.001 as an ebay alert...)

This scored out 176.001 (and re-stamped as 176.007) is considerably more expensive and in much worse shape:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=151890810170Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

All that said, movement and hands will take priority over case back! :)

10. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Dec 5, 2015

Actually never mind, I forgot there were two types of caseback engravings on the 007. Mine has the larger seahorse and no circle, similar in style to premoon Speedmasters. So you're right, that style could be appropriate for some 007s. I saw that other one too, scratched up on the outside and rusty on the inside. Not an upgrade from your current one IMO.

11. Ken G Dec 5, 2015

I wonder what Omega would offer/suggest as a replacement if I were to go for their full service.

Just because Ofrei isn't showing anything on their pages doesn't necessarily mean Omega doesn't have something suitable. They could very well have 176.001 or 176.007 case backs...

I'll let you know what they say when I go there next year! :)

Andy K likes this.