Forums Latest Members
  1. timestamp Nov 12, 2016

Hi all,

I have a 176.007 and I'm researching if the crystal is correct. It is supposed to be a newer service replacement, but original from Omega. Now this might well be true, however, there are two things that I haven't noticed on other 176.007s:

- The Omega logo in the center is smaller, fainter, fuzzier, and less deep engraved than on all Omega acrylic/hesalite crystals that I can find pictures from, or have ever seen in person. Very hard to see at all with the naked eye even under optimum conditions (but good enough in the second picture).

- Looking from the side, the profile of the crystal has a "step" or "edge" where the curvature meets the vertical side of the crystal.

What is your opinion - do aftermarket replacements for these even exist? As far as I know, the tachymeter is a fixed part of the crystal?

176.077-1.jpg 176.077-2.jpg 176.077-3.jpg 176.077-4.jpg

Thanks, any input is much appreciated!

// edit: P.S. I don't have another 176.007 available for live comparisons.

// edit: One more enhanced picture:

176.077-5.jpg

Edited Nov 12, 2016
  2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 12, 2016

My 176.007 has the same shape crystal, but the Ω symbol is more of the older style.
    I believe you crystal is genuine, just newer.

timestamp likes this.
  3. dialstatic Nov 12, 2016

Not sure because I know there is a service replacement on mine, but I do have the original (cracked) crystal in the bank safe. I'll prolly go there tomorrow - in that case, I'll bring it and take some comparison shots.

timestamp likes this.
  4. Georgieboy58 Nov 12, 2016

Mine (35612xxx) looks exactly the same up to the point that the opening of the Omega sign points to ~8:30.
    It is on the watch at least since I bought in in the mid 80s.

Edited Nov 12, 2016
    timestamp likes this.
  5. dialstatic Nov 12, 2016

100% sure this is a genuine Omega service crystal on my blue dialed 007, though I cannot definitively claim that it is correct for this reference (just that Omega fitted it as such a couple of years ago).

IMG_8313.JPG

IMG_8319.PNG

90% sure this is the original crystal on my silver dialed 007:

IMG_8314.JPG

IMG_8320.PNG

Both appear different from yours. The shapes of the Omega logos are markedly different (elongated & very short or no serif feet vs. more round & serif feet). In fact, the (what I suspect to be) original crystal has completely different shape from my service crystal, in that it is more bulbous and curving towards a single straight (vertical) edge, whereas the curve on the service crystal crystal is less pronounced and connects to an (angled) straight edges that itself connects to the vertical one.

I'll be 100% sure on the second one once I find the original crystal for my blue 007.

Edited Nov 12, 2016
    timestamp likes this.
  6. cimo Nov 12, 2016

I think you're good. I haven't heard of generic crystals having a faux logo embossed onto them, and the size position and shape of yours looks similar to a replacement crystal I got from Otto frei last year some time.

timestamp likes this.
  7. dialstatic Nov 13, 2016

@Archer, is there any way you could look up for us what the part number for the hesalite crystal for an ST 176.007 is? Thanks a lot!

timestamp likes this.
  8. Ken G Nov 13, 2016

Just to add to the evidence, here's a crystal fitted by Omega just a few weeks back:

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Previously, my 007 had the wrong hands (and possibly the incorrect bezel too), so there's obviously doubt about the crystal - here it is anyway:

image.jpeg image.jpeg

I couldn't find an old pic showing any logo on the crystal - actually, I don't recall if there was one there. The crystal was pretty scratched up...

Edited Nov 13, 2016
  9. timestamp Nov 14, 2016

Thank you all for your detailed input! The crystal in the last pic looks a lot like mine from this perspective.

So, I guess it's safe to say that it is not a modern Omega replacement, but what else it is, seems inconclusive...

One question: I've read that the tachymeter scale is part of the set you get as a replacement part from Omega. Is it just packaged with it, or is the tachy fixed and non-removable from the crystal? What I'm asking is, does a fake crystal thus imply a fake tachy?

Thanks again for your support!

10. Ken G Nov 14, 2016

While the crystal might very well be part of a "crystal & inner bezel set" from Omega (i.e. they are ordered together), you often see just the bezel for sale on eBay, Ofrei etc. So I don't think you can conclude fake crystal = fake bezel...

timestamp likes this.
  11. dialstatic Nov 14, 2016

Your service crystal looks exactly like mine. I guess we can cautiously conclude that this is the modern, correct replacement.

The pictures of your old crystal look very much like my original one. Perhaps the TS' crystal is an old service replacement, before they switched to the newer, less bulbous design?

timestamp likes this.
  12. Ken G Nov 14, 2016

Yup - I'd go along with that! :)

Could be! But TS mentioned that his crystal looked like my old one (which also looks like your original). Maybe the method of putting the logo on the crystal changed! :)

timestamp likes this.
  13. Ken G Nov 14, 2016

Here's another (hastily-taken) shot of my recent service crystal:

image.jpeg

The angle to the vertical at the edge of the crystal looks the same as dialstatic's...

MOL, timestamp and dialstatic like this.
  14. dialstatic Nov 14, 2016

I think I prefer the old style crystal. It looks more vintage and it seems to enlarge the tachy ring numbers a little because of the curve at the edge.

IMG_8351.PNG

Searching likes this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 14, 2016

The crystal itself is part 063PN5220. But as assemblies that include the ring, several are listed for STEEL CASE CAL. 1040 | 055ST1760007:

Tachymetre - 063PE5220TA - white

Decimal - 063PE5220DE - white

Pulsometer - 063PE5220PU - white

Telemeter - 063PE5220TE1 - white

Decimal - 063PF5220DE - blue

Pulsometer - 063PF5220PU - blue

Tachymetre - 063PF5220TA - blue

Telemeter - 063PF5220TE1 - blue

Decimal - 063PH5220DE - 2N (light yellow gold)

Pulsometer - 063PH5220PU - 2N

The rings and crystals can be bought separately.

Cheers, Al

16. Ken G Nov 14, 2016

Yeah, might prefer the old one too, but doesn't make that much difference to me, tbh.
    Found a few shots of the old one from the day I got it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. dialstatic Nov 15, 2016

I think I see an Omega logo in the crystal in the second photo. Did they give you back the old crystal?

Here's a comparison I just shot from exactly the same angle to highlight the different profiles. The original crystal is much flatter on top (in addition to more bulbous at the edges).

176007_crystal_comparison.png

Edited Nov 15, 2016
    timestamp likes this.
  18. Ken G Nov 15, 2016

I think I can see the mark you're talking about, but I'm not sure if that's actually an Omega mark. Here are a few quite clear shots - I can't see anything here! That's what's giving me doubts...

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

That kind of looks like an Omega symbol in the last shot, but even considering the angle, it looks to be in a strange place...

I didn't get the crystal (or anything) back from Bienne. I have had everything back from Omega Service Centers on 2 occasions in the past, but this is the second time nothing has been returned from Bienne. I was informed of this in advance both times, but went ahead anyway...

timestamp likes this.
  19. dialstatic Nov 15, 2016

So that's how they stock up on cool vintage stuff ;-) I can see what you mean with the mark. It kinda looks like a faded omega symbol with long feet, but it's not in the center. Interesting!

I managed to find my cracked crystal today. I'm 100% sure this is original, because the watch it belonged to (my blue dialed 007) was purchased new by my father in early 1974 and was driven over by a truck (!) in early 1975. It stayed in a drawer until I had it revised some 15 years ago (hence the service crystal).

Both the crystal's profile and the logo look (to me) exactly like the TS' pictures. I think he's good ;-) Interestingly, the logo looks less elongated than on my silver faced dial. The application method may have changed, but the movement serials are less than 400 apart.

FullSizeRender-3.jpg

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

Edited Nov 15, 2016
    timestamp and Ken G like this.
  20. Screwbacks Nov 15, 2016

mine is similar to the 2nd one - original crystal. the 1st one should be an original omega replacement. dint get a good macro shot of the inner logo but pretty sure it's not round shape.

IMG_20161116_082009.jpg
    Edited Nov 15, 2016
    timestamp and dialstatic like this.